Previous topicNext topic

A true alpha in exports

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
mlinke

A true alpha in exports

Post by mlinke »

Hi,

I am creating small pieces of a larger composition that are going to be finished and rendered in After Effects. I found an "alpha" reference in the color modules, but so far have not been able to make a true alpha--meaning that I can (for example) lay an image on top of another, and have it exist on top of the background image without blocking anything in the background up to the edge. So far I keep getting a area around the foreground image that blacks out what is behind--so it is not truly "alp[ha-channeled." Can that actually be done in Magic? Did not see a reference in the manual, besides what you see in the color module, page 56. it describes an alpha, but in a different sense.

Regards,

Matt
Magic
Site Admin

Re: A true alpha in exports

Post by Magic »

In general (not just in Magic), the .mp4 format doesn't support alpha channels. If you want to export from Magic with alpha, you have to select the .png format, and make sure you check the "Transparency" option:
Screen Shot 2016-06-08 at 10.25.26 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-06-08 at 10.25.26 AM.png (28.61 KiB) Viewed 5053 times
The .png format is lossless, so the disadvantage is that it takes longer to export (because the files are larger), but the advantage is that you get 100% pristine quality because there are no compression artifacts.

Also, .mp4's are limited to 2048x2048 resolution in many OS's, but .png's have no limit, so you can do 4K and above (assuming your graphics card is good enough).
mlinke

Post by mlinke »

Hi,

Okay. I did a test of that, just a few seconds long. While I could see the image the entire time as it was rendering, the png files it exported were all blank. ???

Matt
mlinke

Post by mlinke »

HI,

Hold on, there is something else going on here. I added an image next to my original and tried again. I got the edge of the added image. I must need to center the image somewhere or tell Magic where they are?

Matt
mlinke

Post by mlinke »

Placement appears to be important to have an image in the frame of a png file. Sadly, it is the png file that, in After Effects, ignores the alignment with animation and audio. Ao I can have mpg4s that play everything correctly but can be alpha-channeled, or png files that allow me to alpha channel, but not lose the music animation. I see a few more buttons to select. Guess I'll play with those.

Matt
mlinke

Post by mlinke »

Okay. I'm sure you are getting tired of this, but I just realized something(s).

If I export a Magic project as png files, they will not include an audio component. So I shouldn't expect that, in After Effects, even laying down an audio track, that the images would respond to the music. That connection to Magic is cut when you export just the png files. It's no longer Magic the image is talking to.

If png export would at least preserve the motions of the objects, it would be easy to align another audio copy, with the png files, in After Effects.

The only way to export a working project with the audio animation intact, seems to be to use the mpeg4 setting--which eliminates the alpha channel option.

Sounds like I might not be able to do want I wanted to do in After Effects. Magic, naturally, does not have a distortion vector for a hemispherical dome--which is part of wanting to use After Effects at that stage, plus some other effects. I need to contact another use in dome, and see what they do.

Matt
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

It's ok, don't worry about it :). The only reason the .png export wouldn't align perfectly with an audio copy in AfterEffects is that your frame rates don't match.

Make sure you enter the same exact setting in the Export dialog as in your AfterEffects project:
fps.png
fps.png (42.98 KiB) Viewed 5040 times
Also, and perhaps even more importantly, you need to explicitly set the frames/sec of the clip after you import it into AfterEffects. A .png sequence doesn't have embedded frames/sec metadata, so AfterEffects is probably importing it at the default setting, which is likely incorrect.
Magic, naturally, does not have a distortion vector for a hemispherical dome--which is part of wanting to use After Effects at that stage, plus some other effects.
It's true that Magic doesn't have dome distortion as a built-in feature (due to its limited marketability at our price point), but it's something we can custom design for you: https://magicmusicvisuals.com/services. Or, you might even be able to find a free plugin somewhere out there on the internet.
mlinke

Post by mlinke »

Hi,

Okay, I got a test sample of png files and an added audio file to work in AE correctly. I used the more common frame rate in my world, 29.97/sec, and set Magic and AE to that PLUS I found that the preview frames rate did not match. I've never had to adjust that before. I'll put together a more complex test and see what happens.

As for distortion, I have that plug in in AE. If the next test works, I'll distort it for the dome and see what happens.

Thanks,

Matt