Previous topicNext topic

Is there anyway to play sound from video?

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
sawyercc

Is there anyway to play sound from video?

Post by sawyercc »

Hi, Im new to Magic, and Im currently having some problems trying to play a music from my videos i've imported into the software. Is it not possible to do this in magic? I also tried importing the audio file but I can't make the video and sound sync together. :cry:
Magic
Site Admin

Re: Is there anyway to play sound from video?

Post by Magic »

You can't play audio directly from a video file unfortunately. Magic isn't really meant to be used that way. But if you split the audio into its own file and import it separately, it could work. You'd want to use the Playlist with the "Audio file control" option, and also make sure to enable "Synchronize Modules on Reselect". That way, when you rewind the audio and press play, the Video will also rewind.

Let me know if you need further clarification on any of those things. I can provide a screenshot if you'd like :).
sawyercc

Post by sawyercc »

Hey Eric! Thanks for the prompt reply! I clicked on the "Synchronize Modules" but Im not sure what it does, I can only see that it plays my video again. However, according to what you explained, do you mean that this helps to sync the audio and videos together? so if I have 2 videos with the length of 1:00 and 0:30, when the length of the audio reached 1:01, it will start playing the second video?
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Well, there are a couple different ways to play videos in sequence like that, but are you still trying to synchronize them both with audio? If so, things might start to get complicated (although still doable).

Can you describe a bit more about what you are trying to achieve? For example, are you trying to create a movie, or are you doing a live performance? These kinds of things will help me determine the best way to set up your project.
sawyercc

Post by sawyercc »

Hello, sorry I forgot about my question here after I found a way to solve my issue. :lol: My bad. Anyway, it was for a live theater performance. The backdrops are animated and looping, so using magic was perfect, but the only thing lacking was the sound, so I just had to do a split screen projection and play and sync the audio manually. I know it may be silly to use such a sophisticated software to do such simple job but it's the only software I could find that could fade videos and loop. 8-)
stevie777

Post by stevie777 »

Hi Eric! I'm really very interested to synchronize a video clip in Magic as perfect as possible. The reason is that I experiment with the combination of character animation. And this characters should be able to dance or sing. Here's an example:
https://youtu.be/dLxKZHNqROE

The separation of the audio file is not the problem. I proceeded all the things you recommended:
Eric wrote: You'd want to use the Playlist with the "Audio file control" option, and also make sure to enable "Synchronize Modules on Reselect". That way, when you rewind the audio and press play, the Video will also rewind.
First thing is, that the video seems not to rewind when I rewind the audio. If you could give me some more tips and tricks for the synchronization of a video to audio in Magic it would be grate. By the way: the chromakey-module works really, really great! This example-clip works with the ChromakeyFast-module, too.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

There are a couple steps to make sure the video rewinds when you rewind the audio:
1) In the Playlist menu, make sure the following option is selected: "Synchronize Modules On Reselect".
2) Also in the Playlist menu, select "Show Auto-Advance Options", and then at the bottom of the Playlist window, make sure "Audio file control" is selected.

Does that help?

Or, alternatively, have you thought about animating the characters directly with the audio? For example, you could make the mouth open (translate and/or rotate) in response to the volume. Here's one example: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=174, or here's another one I linked to in that post: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=173
stevie777

Post by stevie777 »

Eric wrote:There are a couple steps to make sure the video rewinds when you rewind the audio:
1) In the Playlist menu, make sure the following option is selected: "Synchronize Modules On Reselect".
2) Also in the Playlist menu, select "Show Auto-Advance Options", and then at the bottom of the Playlist window, make sure "Audio file control" is selected.
Well, I did everything and it seems working very well. But I don't know: the Video is allways playing even if I don't start the audio. Okay, I looped it in the module. But when it's controled by the audiofile shouldn't it not stop, too when audio stops?
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Right now, none of the modules ever "stop" -- even when you stop the audio files. I did it that way mainly for live audio input, because live audio input never stops, so you wouldn't want the modules to stop either. Time just keeps moving forward indefinitely. But maybe I can add an option so that time doesn't move forward when no audio files are playing. Would that be useful?