Previous topicNext topic

Improved audio input device support

Suggestions for new features for Magic.
ianef

Improved audio input device support

Post by ianef »

I've had issues with MMV not recognising my USB audio input device. I posted a response on the following topic, originally from 2017, but I think this is worthy of a feature request as there is clearly a lack of support for a broad range of external sound devices, from 2017 at least!

viewtopic.php?p=13410

To broadly repeat what I posted there:

I have problem with MMV not recognising my Behringer UMC202HD external audio device as a sound source.

Resolume works OK with this device, and I've tried the MMV "Help - Reset All Settings" fix but that did not fix it.

Installing ASIO4ALL, using the UMC as an input device to ASIO4ALL, then using ASIO4ALL as an input in MMV worked, but this really shouldn't be necessary. It's yet another layer of stuff to remember, configure, setup, and get confused by whenever I do a gig. I guess if I'm doing this weekly OK but I don't. Also for newcomers to MMV, like me, it's another layer of hassle to get through, and more IMHO unnecessary software. I don't need ASIO4ALL for any other purpose. Al the other software I use just sees my UMC202HD directly. Resolume and Ableton.

Any chance you can improve your support for a wider range of input devices please.

Many thanks.
Sadler

Re: Improved audio input device support

Post by Sadler »

I have used a few old audio interfaces without issue: ZOOM U-44 - from 2016 and the M-Box 3 - RIP (2005-2010). I've never used a Behringer but I don't see any reason why that wouldn't work with Magic - except there are folks grumbling online about the quality of its drivers.

Have you done all the solutions suggested in these threads?
viewtopic.php?p=6810
viewtopic.php?p=2061
viewtopic.php?p=7667
ianef

Post by ianef »

Hi Sadler

I've tried your recommendations, but still no luck. The device shows up in Magic, it just refuses to open it.

Interestingly, after opening the ASIO4ALL input device, I can then go back and open the UMC202HD and it works fine. Could this be a driver file being loaded for ASIO that's still in memory when later opening the UMC?
Sadler

Post by Sadler »

If that were me, I'd reinstall drivers and check the usb cable. Magic has clearly found the audio interface at some point. When you receive that message, magic can't find the device it had used during the previous session. I don't know enough about asio to say if it would keep a driver in memory but even if asio was still running magic would have to get it's own driver handle, distinct from asio. I used the mbox 3 last night and it worked flawlessly. Maybe magic can't reliably find your interface but it's more likely the Behringer drivers, I'd say.