Previous topicNext topic

Expression modifier

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
Tsunoo

Expression modifier

Post by Tsunoo »

Hello !

I am still trying to get an input selector to select a random input on a beat... Until now, I am able to change the input in a sequence on the MIDI clock beat. But I still want to randomize this sequence.

Would it be possible to use the Expression modifier with something like "rnd * x * 30" ? In this case, x would be a value 0 or 1 triggered by the MIDI clock, rnd would be a random value between 0 and 1 and 30 would be the number of inputs plugged into my input selector. I cannot use the Hold modifier after a Random modifier, because the value of the input selector should change on the MIDI clock beat, not after a duration in seconds. I tried to read the ExprTk engine's documentation, but I could not find any "rnd" function...

BTW, the random generator I would like to use would be awesome if it could generate a new value *only* if the previous modifier changed the parameter's value. But I guess that I could use it with the 0/1 values sent by the MIDI clock...

Thanks again for the great job !
Magic
Site Admin

Re: Expression modifier

Post by Magic »

The Expression modifier can't generate random values unfortunately. But even if it could, I'm still not sure it would work the way you want. The critical thing is to not generate a new value every frame. The Expression modifier can't do that.

I have a few new modifiers on my to-do list, and one of them is called "Random Trigger", which will generate a new random value only when it's triggered (by a beat, for example). I think this is what you would need.
Tsunoo

Post by Tsunoo »

You are right, Eric, this is exactly what I need. Thanks a lot !
Tsunoo

Post by Tsunoo »

Any news about the "Random trigger"?