Previous topicNext topic

Video Export is slightly out of sync

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
cjpiano

Video Export is slightly out of sync

Post by cjpiano »

Hello - When I export my video, it's slightly out of sync. The visuals are slightly delayed in relation to the audio. Is there any way to adjust this? I want the visuals to be exactly with the audio, not delayed.
Magic
Site Admin

Re: Video Export is slightly out of sync

Post by Magic »

That is most likely due to the display you are watching it on, not the video file itself.

It's a common problem with some displays: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_lag

I can assure you that we've extensively tested Magic's video exporting function, and there is no inherent delay in it.

Can you try watching your video on a different display or computer?
cjpiano

Post by cjpiano »

Eric wrote:That is most likely due to the display you are watching it on, not the video file itself.

It's a common problem with some displays: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_lag

I can assure you that we've extensively tested Magic's video exporting function, and there is no inherent delay in it.

Can you try watching your video on a different display or computer?
Thanks for the reply, but it's not the display. I play the video on my macbook computer and it's delayed. I play it on my imac desktop computer which is super fast and has tons of RAM, and it's the same. I played it on yet another computer and it's the same. It's not a HUGE delay, just slight, but noticeable.
cjpiano

Post by cjpiano »

Here it is, I uploaded it to youtube. It's poor quality because I wanted to do it quickly. https://youtu.be/STO5ut8CwM4
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

That looks perfectly synchronized to me.

Not to toot my own horn, but I am *very* good at noticing sync problems :).

Anyone else agree/disagree?
cjpiano

Post by cjpiano »

Eric wrote:That looks perfectly synchronized to me.

Not to toot my own horn, but I am *very* good at noticing sync problems :).

Anyone else agree/disagree?
Not to toot my own horn, either, but I'm also very good at noticing. I'm a professional musician with a keen ear and eye. I notice it mostly with the bass part which is represented by the visual in the bottom portion of the screen since it doesn't have the blur effects like the others. Watch around 1:26 when the bass part has faster notes, you can see the visual is just a little behind.

Don't get me wrong, it's still very good and I love it, but I'm a perfectionist and very picky and notice the slight delay.

Anyway, my original question still stands: is there a way to adjust it? Like a time value or time input for a delay of the audio or visual?

Thanks.
Terry Payman

Post by Terry Payman »

I agree that the video is not out of sync. The lower diamond shapes that come in with the bass at 0:23 have no lag to my eye.

However, I sense definite lag with the two upper shapes, apparently the exact latency issue I wished to correct by offsetting the audio. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=917

For now, a solution would be to slightly delay the Start Time of the "mix" audio file, so that it is heard slightly later (in sync with the top shapes).
The top shapes would be driven from undelayed stems.
The bass stem would need the same (or very slightly less) delay as the mix.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Watch around 1:26 when the bass part has faster notes, you can see the visual is just a little behind.
The reason it might appear behind is that your notes are very close to each other at that point in the song, so you're not getting as noticeable a visual response from the Spectrum module. The Spectrum module can't pick out each note with equal precision, due to the way that spectra work in general: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discrete_ ... l_analysis

If you were to adjust the overall delay of the music, it might look better for the fast parts (although I don't think so), but it would definitely look worse for other parts -- the visuals would be ahead of the music. In other words, you'd be introducing a delay in the opposite direction.
cjpiano

Post by cjpiano »

Eric wrote:
Watch around 1:26 when the bass part has faster notes, you can see the visual is just a little behind.
The reason it might appear behind is that your notes are very close to each other at that point in the song, so you're not getting as noticeable a visual response from the Spectrum module. The Spectrum module can't pick out each note with equal precision, due to the way that spectra work in general: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discrete_ ... l_analysis

If you were to adjust the overall delay of the music, it might look better for the fast parts (although I don't think so), but it would definitely look worse for other parts -- the visuals would be ahead of the music. In other words, you'd be introducing a delay in the opposite direction.
Ok, thanks. So how do I adjust for the delay, so I can try and see?
cjpiano

Post by cjpiano »

Terry Payman wrote:I agree that the video is not out of sync. The lower diamond shapes that come in with the bass at 0:23 have no lag to my eye.

However, I sense definite lag with the two upper shapes, apparently the exact latency issue I wished to correct by offsetting the audio. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=917

For now, a solution would be to slightly delay the Start Time of the "mix" audio file, so that it is heard slightly later (in sync with the top shapes).
Did you look at 1:26?
Also, if I delay the bass audio file but not the others, then won't it sound out of sync? I want it to SOUND and LOOK in sync =)
Terry Payman

Post by Terry Payman »

cjpiano wrote:
Terry Payman wrote:...The lower diamond shapes that come in with the bass at 0:23 have no lag to my eye.

However, I sense definite lag with the two upper shapes,...For now, a solution would be to slightly delay the Start Time of the "mix" audio file, so that it is heard slightly later (in sync with the top shapes).
Did you look at 1:26?
I hadn't seen your later post mentioning 1:26 when I wrote the above, and had just watched until the bass came in. To my eye, the size of the bass diamonds at 0:23 responds without delay, so I thought your concern was with the upper shapes, which do look laggy to me. I can see what you mean about the delay at 1:26 though, so it's worth trying an offset.
cjpiano wrote:Also, if I delay the bass audio file but not the others, then won't it sound out of sync?
Only one track, the overall mix, is audible. I'm sorry that my explanation wasn't clearer. I'll try again...

My method, for a single "laggy" visual element, is to have dedicated but muted audio specifically for that element. The audible mix of all tracks is delayed (using Start Time). The delayed audible mix can then match the laggy visual.

Multiple elements having different lags would have separate, muted, audio files with their Start Times adjusted appropriately. The audible mix is delayed long enough to match or exceed the "laggiest" visual. Start times of files for the less laggy visuals would need to be adjusted to match the lags.

Optimising the Start Times is somewhat tricky. I have found it useful to make multiple identical files for each element. Each can then be assigned a different start time and a different Magic Input. It's then relatively quick to choose between different Inputs to see which gives the best sync.

Use low bitrate MP3 for all the inaudible files to save memory. Only the single audio mix need be uncompressed.

Choosing/setting the Start Times (quick and somewhat simplified explanation, see "Importing Audio Files", "Assigning Inputs & "Audio File Menu" in the User's Guide for details)

1) In your DAW, export a mix file for the video's soundtrack. Uncompressed.
2) In your DAW, export a dedicated audio file (stem) for each musical/visual element. Low bitrate MP3 to save memory.
3) Make multiple copies of each file, say three, so you have eg bass-a.mp3, bass-b.mp3, bass-c.mp3

In Magic's Audio/MIDI window...
4) Import all the files and mute all but the mix.
5) Set the start time of the mix file to, say, 0.1s.
6) Set the start times of the bass tracks to say 0.1s, 0.05s and 0.0s. This gives an advance of 0, 0.05 and 0.1s respectively.
7) Assign an Input to each file. I use names like bass, bass- & bass--
8) Play the audio, and for each of the bass visuals modules choose the Input that gives the least lag. Refine the Start Times of the bass tracks for finer control, or make more copies of the file and assign different Start Times and Inputs.
cjpiano wrote:I want it to SOUND and LOOK in sync =)
Yes, of course, sync IS simultaneous sound and look.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Just to simplify what Terry said (with a picture :)):
Multitrack.png
Multitrack.png (59.9 KiB) Viewed 6143 times
When dealing with a multitrack project, I always recommend that you have a separate audio file for the final mix. By soloing it, you retain the polished sound of your mastered recording, but you still have access to the individual stem tracks via the other files, which can be used to drive the visuals even though they are not audible.

In your case, the added advantage is that you can adjust the stem tracks' start times, which can be positive or negative. This will allow you to compensate for any perceived sync issues.
artnik

Post by artnik »

I often perceive lag where there isn't one. I think it comes down to notes having slow attack values, and any effect that has smooth scaling or rotation seems to lag as the note's volume increases. Perhaps it's part of the explanation.
cjpiano

Post by cjpiano »

Thank you guys! I did as you said and created a final mix that was soloed and then individual tracks that I adjusted the start times. The result is a video that looks more in sync!