Previous topicNext topic

Magic 1.65 randomly crashing when editing parameters

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
DJSandmannTV

Magic 1.65 randomly crashing when editing parameters

Post by DJSandmannTV »

I recently bought Magic after I've last used it's demo a few months ago. However in the current version 1.65 I experience random crashes. :| It happens when editing parameters, no matter what parameters. When crashing, the whole screen freezes for a few second, then I can hear the music skip back once for a second (Spotify) and after that my screen goes completely back. It recovers after around 5 - 10 seconds with an error message by GeForce Experience stating my graphics card driver did not respond and was restarted (GeForce GTX 750 Ti). After that Magic is not responding anymore and no changes where changed.

It's really annoying and makes the software nearly unusable for me, which is kind of a bummer since it costed 40$ (which is a decent amount of money for a student). I don't say it's the developers fault, however I would be really happy if anyone knows a fix for this issue or the developers look into this for the next update.

Al the best and thanks in advance
Magic
Site Admin

Re: Magic 1.65 randomly crashing when editing parameters

Post by Magic »

Sorry about that. Unfortunately I haven't heard of anyone else with that problem, so it might be something with your graphics card. Have you tried making sure your driver is updated?

I do think it's unlikely that just any parameter would cause a graphics crash, since many parameters are not directly related to the graphics card. Can you give a specific example of a parameter that has caused the problem?

A few other questions:
- Are you working on a very large project, such that you might be using up all the graphics memory?
- Have you enabled the graphics memory monitoring feature (Window > Magic Window Options > Show Free Graphics Memory)? What does it say?
- Are you running other any applications at the same time?
- What OS are you running?
DJSandmannTV

Post by DJSandmannTV »

First of all, thanks for answering.

I will do some extended testing regarding the parameters, however it seemed random for me.

Regarding the video memory: My graphics card has about 2GB VRAM. When only running Spotify as sound source in the background, I still have around 1.9GB free VRAM when using Magic without any projects open. The issue appears with any kind of project, no matter what size. My latest project uses around 150MB VRAM. OS is Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (crash occures on both 32-bit and 64-bit Magic).
Terry Payman

Post by Terry Payman »

To save Eric asking again, have you installed the latest driver for your GTX 750 Ti? I couldn't see your answer.
Also, are you using just Magic's built-in modules, with no external inputs except audio?

Sorry to hear about your problem. You will find that Eric is extremely responsive - I've never had better or faster support for any software - so if anyone reports an issue with his software there's always a considered reply, an ongoing interest and if necessary a fix.

Eric's fanatical about software quality and stability. There are many stages of testing before even a beta release of Magic, and version 1.65 has had many cycles of incremental development and testing through the point releases.

As it's always rewarding to report even slight issues, you can be sure that if anyone previously had a crash problem like yours it would have been reported on these forums and fixed as a matter of top priority.

I have such confidence in the integrity of Magic that if I ever had a similar problem with crashing I would re-build my PC with a clean version of Windows. If I still had problems I'd start swapping out hardware.
DJSandmannTV

Post by DJSandmannTV »

So. Updates, yay!

I normally don't like to make bigger changes to my PC. However since I really like that software (and paid a good amount of money for it) I uninstalled Magic and everything that has to do with my graphics card. I installed the freshest software of everything (however I cannot tell if the issues where caused by an outdated driver/software). But I can report a clean run of Magic for about 2 hours. Previously it barely lasted longer than 15 minutes. I'm guessing it was a problem with the graphics card driver, however I usually pay attention to run on the latest drivers.

Conclusion: I was not able to identify the problem by 100%, however it seems to work again, which I'm REALLY REALLY happy about. I'm already planning some virtual projection mapping in Blender with a small stage.

Again. Thanks a lot for the great support and this awesome product. I don't hope I bought it too late and you guys gonna drop v2 in the next weeks ;)

Thanks a lot and all the best to the whole team

DJSANDMANNTV

-- CASE CLOSED --
Reigel

Post by Reigel »

Hi,
I must drop in and tell that I had similar experience last days. I have the latest driver on my GTX 970 and I did a clean setup of WIN 10 not long ago. So I dare to assume that my system is in good condition.
Now it is that when editing, now and then Magic all of a sudden is not controllable any more. I use a Novation Launch Control XL which proofed rock stable in the past. I also have the latest firmware installed on this.
As long as I only perform using that controller everything seems to be fine. But when editing modules it might freeze the way I described. Video is still processed and displayed. But no way to control. I have to restart the computer.

I am a bit scared looking to the next show.

Best
Reinhard
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Ok, I'll look into it, but if it has only been happening recently, it could also be a bug in the Nvidia driver. I've seen it myself. For this exact reason, Nvidia makes older drivers available.