Previous topicNext topic

how do you use exported magic videos in resolume?

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
shigudy

how do you use exported magic videos in resolume?

Post by shigudy »

the subject pretty much says it all. I have a lot of videos i exported from magic that can be open and played in windows media player. But when i open resolume and go to the folder that has all these videos, the folder is empty. Do i need to extract in a different file type or something?
Sadler

Re: how do you use exported magic videos in resolume?

Post by Sadler »

Export to mp4 then convert to DXV. There are several ways to convert files to DXV. Vegas, After Effects, Streamclip, Media Encoder and probably others.

If you have Resolume installed then that codec should be already installed.
Kneedless

Post by Kneedless »

Sadler wrote:If you have Resolume installed then that codec should be already installed.
This was not the case with me, I needed to install the codec seperatly, but make sure if you're using a windows computer install quicktime before installing the DXV3 codec
Kneedless

Post by Kneedless »

when exporting all videos, make sure they are in the .mov format cause that's the only format resolume accepts
dj0le

Post by dj0le »

Another option:

You can just leave your Magic scenes running in Magic itself and use Spout or Syphon instead of exporting them and loading them in Resolume. That allows you a lot more freedom and on stage improvising. Just set it up in Magic, and then in Resolume, use the SpoutReceiver to pull them into your performance.
shigudy

Post by shigudy »

If I do want to export it as .mov file how do i do that? When i go to export movie i only see movie file (.mp4) or image sequence (.png)
andalso how does the mbits/sec effect the export? And how do i find the spout receiver in resolume?
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

If I do want to export it as .mov file how do i do that? When i go to export movie i only see movie file (.mp4) or image sequence (.png)
I think he meant export as .mov from the DXV conversion utilities mentioned above: Vegas, After Effects, Streamclip, Media Encoder, etc.
how does the mbits/sec effect the export?
Quality :). Lower = worse. You can experiment with it to see the difference.
shigudy

Post by shigudy »

I downloaded adobe media encoder and have been trying to figure that out. I drag one of my videos that is in a mp4 format into media encoder but how do I switch the settings to .mov? Theres so many options I am overwhelmed lol
wizartist

Post by wizartist »

You can use Spout or Syphon. But if you want to Export videos from magic music visuals, use Export to png sequence and then encode to DXV.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

So am I to understand that Resolume can't play .mp4s at all? That's kind of surprising.

I totally understand them wanting to focus on the DXV format because of its real-time performance, but it seems silly not to support what is by far the most common video format out there.
Sadler

Post by Sadler »

Resolume can play MP4s (if you rename them to MOV) but, at least on my machine, it gives terrible frame rates. There are also many reports of instability using MP4 and large images. DXV and MJPEG are always advocated by devs but never MP4. I've also tested HAP in a mov wrapper in Resolume which is better than MP4 but frame rates drop below 60 at 1080p.

Testing the same 1080p HAP file in Resolume and MMV:
Resolume - around 45fps
MMV - around 173fps (Throttle 5ms, Double buffering, No VSync)

Spouting the HAP from MMV to Resolume is faster than playing it direct.

The same video rendered to DXV plays fine in Resolume. There's quite a useful benchmark spreadsheet based on a standardised DXV test (20 layers with and without noise) that allows users to see which hardware configs give the best performance.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

That's odd, because mp4s seem to play well in Magic on every system I've tested, even at 1080p. The performance really only gets affected when playing several files at once, or when trying to rewind them to an arbitrary position which isn't a keyframe.

It must be some issue with Resolume's video engine, which I believe is QuickTime.

Eventually, I'm planning to offer support for full GPU-accelerated DXV playback in the VideoFile module, similar to how Hap is supported now. So then we'll get a good performance comparison :).