Previous topicNext topic

Clipping box?

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
devarni

Clipping box?

Post by devarni »

I search for some kind of clipping box, so a animation goes not not outside another element.
Eg. I have a planet and use the starfield but this starfield should be limited to a rounded area. I remember to made something similar with AfterEffects.
So my question is there some kind of "clipping" box/element or is the only option to use the "scale" module?
Magic
Site Admin

Re: Clipping box?

Post by Magic »

I think what you are looking for is the Mask module? For an example, go to Help > Open Sample Project, and select "LayersExamples.magic".

Let me know if it helps.
devarni

Post by devarni »

Aah, ok!
The mask uses a input element (eg. an image) and the size etc. can be modified with some of the geometry modules. I've searched for a mask which can be drawn with some drawing primitives like circle, rectangle etc. ;)

How can this be achieved to have some smooth "fade-out" at the border of the mask, so it's not hard cutted?
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

All you have to do is use a mask image with a soft edge. For example, there is an image that comes with Magic called "radial.png" (in the sample projects folder, but I attached it again below).
radial.png
radial.png (26.12 KiB) Viewed 3294 times
It has an alpha channel, so on this web page it looks like solid white, but in Magic it will look like a soft circle. Try masking with it and see if you like it :)