Previous topicNext topic

New Order

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
D1gits

New Order

Post by D1gits »

I would love to have a new order of inputs. A start from 1 instead of 0 would help out a lot, for me at least... +1 or -1 is a easy math problem, but I find my self quite often forgetting that this little calculation needs to be done. Actually I have not heard of a sound card or so starting with channel 0&1 as left&right. Its by default 1&2. I hope I don't offend any one here and Im happy to learn why it is like this ; )

Well just wanted to mention it... Maybe It could even be a checkbox option so that you could change it to what suits you the best.
blackdot

Re: New Order

Post by blackdot »

i think thats just a programming paradigm that ended up in the interface.

imho it doesnt matter.
D1gits

Post by D1gits »

Ok Blackdot. Sounds logical to me, that it is a "leftover" from the programming thinking. Also the midi channels start with 0 but ends up at 16 = 17 Channels (from 1 to 16 would be so much more logical). Hope there will be a change to this in 2.0 : )
Sadler

Post by Sadler »

Maybe you should change your username to D0gits. :D
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

It's just one of those things where there's no right or wrong way to do it.

For example, this sound card starts at 0:

But this one starts at 1:

It's a similar situation with MIDI. For example, some programs use 0-127 for note numbers, and some use 1-128.

For MIDI channels though, 1-16 is always correct. Magic uses channel 0 to mean the "global" channel for things that are not channel-specific, like the Beat Clock. (See Note #2 in the User's Guide MIDI Input section: https://magicmusicvisuals.com/downloads ... #MIDIInput)