Playback getting stuck

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
reagandennis

Playback getting stuck

Post by reagandennis »

Hello Guys,
My perfectly running sessions are lagging all of a sudden,
Any idea what could be the issue,
even if i make a new session with just one module playing 4 sec clip,its still jerky and not smooth
any advice would be highly appreciated
blackdot

Re: Playback getting stuck

Post by blackdot »

a couple of things come to mind:

- monitor is plugged into onboard graphics instead of gpu
- other resource intensive process in the background (antivir, photoshop, 3d software, something os-related)
- different settings in magic (aa, resolution, double buffering, cached things, etc)
- assets that were on an ssd are now on a hdd
- cpu thermal throttling because of cooling issue
- if youre on a laptop: power saving powerplan that throttles everything
reagandennis

Post by reagandennis »

thank youHello

i am using a 13 in mac with 128 gb SSD and intel iris of 1.5 Gb
a 5 min song shouldn't get stuck with this config
any tricks to stop other background process on mac

i have deleted and installed magic again,
can i use the same magic lic and upgrade to a better machine
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Your machine should be perfectly sufficient. And re-installing Magic usually won't help -- the installation almost never causes any problems.

Have you tried simply rebooting? Sometimes it can fix issues related to unwanted background processes.
can i use the same magic lic and upgrade to a better machine
Yes of course :). You can use the menu option Help > Deactivate to free up your activation and use it on a different machine.
visuality

Post by visuality »

If you have memory to spare just 2-3 gigs you can use a ram disk, then problem solved they are much faster than ssd drives, Check this out:
http://www.gilisoft.com/product-ramdisk.htm

Read about it before messing with that tech, it is old school like me, it is not for storage, just recording, oh so perfect recording, I think I will use it for everything I do that needs a lightning fast disk :) before r/w 140 mbs - compared to 6000+ mb per sec. I would also keep working on trying to figure out the problem with you machine. I started having issue after the last win 10 update and my Nvidea driver update, before I could do 1080p recordings to disk ( even at 140 mb per sec) no problem, no its an issue, now, even 720p is stuttering but that may also be 1) my video are on an external and its nearly fully 2) My vid are in different codecs. Jumping from one codec to another in a real-time app is probably not clever, neither is having media everywhere, I dont have a ssd so my drives have to come out whatever waiting mode they are in be ready. Anyway life is a learning process, good luck.