Previous topicNext topic

Seeking animation example

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
mlinke

Seeking animation example

Post by mlinke »

HI,

Seeking an example of a module, in line with an automatic (such as spinning) animation to the music. Example. Candy cane spins and changes color with the music. Haven't been successful yet. Knowing that sequence and content would be wildly helpful. New the Forum and Magic, and there are still many postings to wade through.

Best,

Matt Linke
Sadler

Re: Seeking animation example

Post by Sadler »

Build a candy cane in blender (bevel a bezier)
Export as 3ds.
In Magic insert an Object module
Configure it to open the candy cane 3ds file
Add transform rotate
Add colour

This is what it might look like with a couple of added effects:
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

That looks nice! :)
Seeking an example of a module, in line with an automatic (such as spinning) animation to the music. Example. Candy cane spins and changes color with the music.
You might want to check out this tutorial: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=274. It contains several examples of how to rotate something in response to the audio volume. Let me know if you have any questions.
mlinke

Post by mlinke »

Hi,

That does look nice. So the question is, do I need to build 3d models of things--a skill I do not currently have--in order to manipulate them as you did the candy cane? I was hoping that I could work with 2d art, in the beginning, to build up to more and more complex scenes. Ah, to have all the time I need.

Best,

Matt
Sadler

Post by Sadler »

If using a 2d image of a cane you could only rotate it around the z-axis without distorting the image or giving away the illusion of it being just a 2d plane. So in that sense, yes, 3d is the only way to go.

Check out this animation which is all 2d planes: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=691

However if you can acquire a 2d animation of an object spinning and keep the 2d plane facing the camera (so to speak) you can maintain a 3d look, e.g.
http://bestanimations.com/Earth&Space/E ... n-15-2.gif

But, my 3d skills aren't all that either and I used a quick tutorial to create the cane:
3d is a big learning curve (excuse me :lol: ) but it is very satisfying when you achieve your first object.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

That does look nice. So the question is, do I need to build 3d models of things--a skill I do not currently have--in order to manipulate them as you did the candy cane? I was hoping that I could work with 2d art, in the beginning, to build up to more and more complex scenes. Ah, to have all the time I need.
You can certainly use 2D art, and I'm sure you could get it to look nice. If you are fine with the way it looks when it's rotated, then you'll be happy :). I think most people who use Magic are only using 2D art.

As Sadler suggested, you should start with rotating around the z-axis (facing the camera), since it will look the best.