Previous topicNext topic

Adding text to a scene

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
wsobeats

Adding text to a scene

Post by wsobeats »

Hello,

Just trying to figure out how to add text to a scene so I can overlay titles at the beginning of my video ... Thanks
blackdot

Re: Adding text to a scene

Post by blackdot »

you can either use the text module (under specials>text) or the text file module or simply an image module where you use an image with your text, preferrably with an alpha channel.

a detailed description for the text and textfile module can be found in the user guide: https://magicmusicvisuals.com/downloads ... ialModules (scroll doen a bit)
wsobeats

Post by wsobeats »

yes I saw this text module but when I try to insert it by right-clicking on the arrow connecting the module the text module does not come up under special anymore. I am obviously missing something simple.
wsobeats

Post by wsobeats »

I am trying to overlay the text over an existing scene much the way you can overlay an image with your logo on an existing screen.

Duh .... Never mind ... figured it out ...
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

The issue here (as you probably realized) is that the Text module doesn't have an input, which is why it's not in the Insert menu.

To layer it above something else, you just have to add it to the scene (using the Add menu), and connect it to the "top" of another module's inputs. Here's some further info: https://magicmusicvisuals.com/downloads ... ingModules
mikeymalone

Post by mikeymalone »

Is there a way to have the text file module read dynamically from the file for example every 5 Seconds, 10 seconds something like that..
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

That isn't currently supported with the TextFile module, but it's a good request :). In the meantime, you might want to try the JpegFolder module, which lets you navigate through a series of images. You could make each image have some text in it, and then show each image for a certain amount of time.
mikeymalone

Post by mikeymalone »

That could work in some situations. I was hoping to dynamically read a text history file during a live DJ set though. Can do it in OBS but was hoping to do it in Magic so I could use Magic to add effects/manipulate with the rest of the visuals.

Will keep my fingers crossed for a feature down the road in the meantime.
blackdot

Post by blackdot »

+1 for textsequence/textlinesequence-module :)