Previous topicNext topic

external audio / mic-input

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
iluum

external audio / mic-input

Post by iluum »

hi Eric

I'm using magic since a few months, me and my friend martin (honigtiger, also in contact with you) did a lot of programming for a event of 3 nights last weekend, which actually was our first attempt with a larger audience.
For programming we added some ISF as "edge distort" to make our static content sound reactive. We then realized, that the function of db input is not really available easily while broadcasting live. We had a override all the time, so the animations froze.

We are now thinking of purchasing "apogee one" as gainable mic-input.
Do you have any experience with it? That would help us to be sure to spend our money in the right sense ;-)

Let me also say, we simply love this software, it is so easy and gives us endless possibilities of being creative. thank you very much for your development!

regards from switzerland Alex
Magic
Site Admin

Re: external audio / mic-input

Post by Magic »

Hi Alex, thanks for your kind words. I'm glad you've been enjoying Magic.

Just so that I am understanding correctly, are you looking for an audio input that has a gain adjustment knob?

Apogee makes very good audio interfaces with excellent recording quality, but they tend to be more expensive. For Magic, you really don't need excellent recording quality, since you aren't recording anything.

Did you know that there is a gain adjustment function inside Magic? Here is a bit of information: https://magicmusicvisuals.com/downloads ... #AudioGain. It's not as convenient as a hardware knob, but it is free :).

If you do want a hardware solution, you probably don't need to spend much more than $50 USD. For example, this product has two inputs with gain adjustment knobs: http://lexiconpro.com/en-US/products/alpha. You shouldn't need much more than that.
iluum

Re: external audio / mic-input

Post by iluum »

hi Eric

thanks for that quick reply, perfectly satisfied :D

we know about the included gain adjustment, but for some moments a hardware will be more efficient, if any effects get out of order, so a physical knob will be our choice.

Just for the purpose of gain adjustment the apogee one may be a little expensive, ok, but considering to record DJ sets or live music while visuals (by playlist) are running live, it may be a good choice in terms of audio-recording quality. Later then the audio recording can be run together with the visuals to record audio & video all in one :-)))

nevertheless I will check cheaper options as you mentioned.

cheers
Alex