Previous topicNext topic

Midi Files

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
Toponetone

Midi Files

Post by Toponetone »

Just bought Magic and really excited by what I've seen so far. Can someone tell me is there a way to input midi files?
I have a midi file that plays via windows media player and a notation program that outputs midi, but the Magic input box says "no media device connected" do I have to play the midi file through an external midi controller or is there a way to get my Audigy 5/RX sound card to be recognized as a midi device?
I was hoping to be able to split the midi channels and use each of them to trigger different visuals, is this possible?
Cheers,
Tony
TheLaughingBuddha

Re: Midi Files

Post by TheLaughingBuddha »

I am no expert but I just got something similar to this working the other day....I used a virtual midi device called LoopBe1...which is free...then set whatever you use to play midi to use the LoopBe1 as the midi out device and Magic should see LoopBe1 as a midi input.
Regards
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

I'm hoping that the next release of Magic will allow you to load MIDI files directly, but for now you need to load them into a separate program (such as your notation program) and send them to Magic through a virtual MIDI device.

As TheLaughingBuddha said, LoopBe1 is such a virtual MIDI device. Basically you would select it as the output device in your notation program, and then as the input device in Magic. It functions as a router between the two apps.

You can get more info and download it here: http://www.nerds.de/en/loopbe1.html
Toponetone

Post by Toponetone »

Thanks for this I'll give it a try.