Previous topicNext topic

Using more then 1 of the same MIDI controller.

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
Fractal Grinder

Using more then 1 of the same MIDI controller.

Post by Fractal Grinder »

Hey I was wondering if anybody has experience using two or more of the same MIDI controller with Magic. I am trying, and I have custom mappings for both separate controllers, but Magic will only respond to one of the two controllers I want to use.

Like I said i have custom mapping set up, the two controllers are mapped to two different MIDI channels with completely different CC mappings and the like.

Using Windows 10 with two Korg NanoKontrol II's.

Thanks
Reigel

Re: Using more then 1 of the same MIDI controller.

Post by Reigel »

I was trying the same with two LaunchControl XL. I am not sure - Eric will tell us - but I suspect that these MIDI controllers do not submit a uniuque device
ID but only their name which is the same for devices of the same make. So they can't be distinguished by any app. Even the Novation Launch Control XL Editor is not able to talk to more than one device. You could of course use another device with another name.

I did not find the time to search for some ulitity which could merge two devices into one without getting mixed up. But I am sure that there will be some hack out there. I tried to do the trick with a RME Fireface. But despite Fireface is seen by Magic in the moment You use the controler Magic sdets it as LaunchControl and does not accept FireFace as MIDI device.

Best
Reinhard
blackdot

Post by blackdot »

i have 3 same models of a korg nanokontroller. it works, but the problem isnt magic, it's windows in my case. first, i had to use the usb-install-software from korg, so windows actually recognizes three of the same divice (and then so did magic), unfortunately, the distinction between them wasnt tied to the actual physical controller, but the order in which i plugged them in (first plug-in is device 1, and so on). so i had to label my controllers and usb ports and then plug them in in the correct order for them to work like i intended them to.

so basically: it does work, but it's a pain in the bum.
Fractal Grinder

blackdot wrote:i have 3 same models of a korg nanokontroller. it works, but the problem isnt magic, it's windows in my case. first, i had to use the usb-install-software from korg, so windows actually recognizes three of the same divice (and then so did magic), unfortunately, the distinction between them wasnt tied to the actual physical controller, but the order in which i plugged them in (first plug-in is device 1, and so on). so i had to label my controllers and usb ports and then plug them in in the correct order for them to work like i intended them to.

so basically: it does work, but it's a pain in the bum.

Hey so you just installed the drivers, and then plugged them in, in some type of specific order, that all makes sense. I gotta try this. But one thing, do you have custom mapping for the controllers, most importantly are they on the same MIDI channel or did you set them up to two different MIDI channels?

Thanks a ton!
blackdot

Post by blackdot »

Yes i had custom mapping. Used the korg software for that. As far as i remember you get 16 channels per device so i think i left them all at the default channel.
Fractal Grinder

Cool that should be all the info I need. Thank you very much blackdot.