Previous topicNext topic

Randomize JPEG folder

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
Tsunoo

Randomize JPEG folder

Post by Tsunoo »

Hello,

I am still trying to randomize the order of the images displayed by a JPEGFolder module. The pictures change on every beat (110 BPM), using the parameters described on the screenshot. Now, I wish the result (ie. image index) to be randomized, and not in a sequence. Is there a way to achieve this? And I wish to use this randomizing system on the input selector too!

Many thanks in advance.
Attachments
Clipboard01.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg (13.48 KiB) Viewed 5933 times
Sadler

Re: Randomize JPEG folder

Post by Sadler »

Add these in order:

Random [No of images]
Step [1]
Hold [Seconds] - for 110 bpm a hold of 0.545 would be close
Tsunoo

Post by Tsunoo »

Thanks a lot!

And is there a way to hold the value more than 1 second? I tried to use for "Hold" parameters and it does not work...
Sadler

Post by Sadler »

Exponent, Increase, Invert, Random, Ramp, Sine, Step, Triangle and Wrap are effectively unbounded from zero up. Clamp, Offset, Power, Scale and Trigger seem to be unbounded in both directions.

Average, Delay, Gate, Hold, Peak, Smooth and Threshold have a range of 0-1.

I could see there might be some application for Average, Delay, Threshold and Hold having a wider range but this is probably going against the ethos of a reactive application. I guess if you wanted to hold an image for four beats during 60bpm music that would require 4 seconds, but who knows what a creative soul might require.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

I could probably increase the maximum Hold/Average duration. The issue is just that it takes a suprising amount of memory for every Hold/Average modifier that is used, because the entire input history has to be saved. What do you think would be a good maximum duration? 4 seconds?
Tsunoo

Post by Tsunoo »

Well, my matter would be to think in beats instead of seconds... Actually, when I transform beats to seconds, my video starts to desynchronize after a while.

Do you plan to use beats in addition to times in the future ?
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Yup, I've been planning to add that in one of the upcoming versions.
Tsunoo

Post by Tsunoo »

Great!
SpaceTraveller

Post by SpaceTraveller »

I am trying to trigger all jpg images in a jpeg folder randomly - this post is now over 8 years old - I have tried to follow the above advice but with no result - has there been any updates to MMV that might help my case?
Sadler

Post by Sadler »

OK the advice above still works and now we have the much longer Hold. Perhaps you don't really want real random? I'm guessing you want to display each image once and only once in a random order. And when you say "with no result", really?

There isn't any way to have a randomised sequence that visits each element once then repeats, but you can get close with an expression.

Be clearer about what you want. And dragging up an eight year old thread, perhaps we should call you Time Traveller.
SpaceTraveller

Post by SpaceTraveller »

Basically I have a jpeg folder with over 300 images in it - I just wanted to see what the result would look like if these images were played randomly

Maybe the screenshot above is confusing me :arrow: (Clipboard01.jpg) because obviously my latest MMV version looks slightly different :?
Sadler

Post by Sadler »

Ignore the image. That'll never work. Follow the instructions below in the next reply.
SpaceTraveller

Post by SpaceTraveller »

Sadler wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:52 pm Ignore the image. That'll never work. Follow the instructions below in the next reply.

Ah thanks for that - I was adding yours onto the original posters settings.

It works now I am just trying to work out the exact hold time to keep the video playing at 24fps...