Previous topicNext topic

High Resolution Photo Rendering/ Resolution Boosting.

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
Fractal Grinder

High Resolution Photo Rendering/ Resolution Boosting.

Post by Fractal Grinder »

Hey so I use Magic a lot, I make music visualizers mostly, but I have been experimenting in making animations and even just still images as artwork. And I was wondering if there is a way that I can render Magic at a higher resolution then my monitor is, so that is a more printable High Resolution image. I currently work on a 2560 x 1440 monitor and that is really good resolution for me, but I've become aware that you need much higher resolution images if you want to get nice prints made of your work.

You can see what i mean by higher resolutions here: http://help.deviantart.com/132/

I should add that I did try and render a Image Sequence once at a higher resolution then my monitor, and my computer completely froze..
Magic
Site Admin

Re: High Resolution Photo Rendering/ Resolution Boosting.

Post by Magic »

You *should* be able to export a movie or an image sequence at a higher resolution. All you have to do is enter the desired resolution in the Export Movie dialog box.

The only limiting factor would be your graphics card. If your computer completely froze, it might be because the resolution you entered was too high.

When you go to Help > OpenGL Info, what sizes does it show?

On the above computer, the maximum render size is 16384x16384. But there still may not be enough memory to render at this size, depending on what modules are being used. Nearly every module uses VRAM, and if the total amount of VRAM is low, the maximum render size will be reduced.

Does that help? I would suggest trying incrementally higher resolutions and seeing if it works.
Fractal Grinder

Yeah I think thats just about the only thing i can do right now. But my problem with only being able to export image sequences is that I cant use my MIDI controllers and take spontaneous photo captures like I do now, since image exports start the programming over again. That limits me quite a bit, but still allows me to do some things which is cool.

I would like if I could make a project at a really high resolution, but then use scale or somehow make it fit on my screen, then when I have something I want a image of, I can scale the image back to the high res and take a photo of that. But the problem with that and how I get images from Magic is that I can only get a screen cap of whats actually on my screen.

So i think what im asking is if it would be possible to add a feature like "Image Render" in which Magic basically renders a single image of whatever it is projecting regardless if it doesn't fit on the screen?
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Ah, I see what you're saying. Someone recently suggested that I add a keyboard shortcut for taking a screenshot, which is a good idea. What I'm planning is for the screenshot to use the current graphics resolution (Window > Magic Window Options > Graphics Resolution). The graphics resolution is already independent of the window or desktop resolution, and it's automatically scaled to fit. So you'd be able to see the entire image on your screen, but when you save it as a screenshot, the resolution would be much higher. Sound good?
Fractal Grinder

Perfect. Honestly a better solution then what I was hoping for.

How far along the road do you think this is? Just curious, I think this is the top thing on my wishlish in Magic right now.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

How far along the road do you think this is? Just curious, I think this is the top thing on my wishlish in Magic right now.
It seems like it would be easy to implement, but you never know. I will take a look soon, but in general I can't really make any promises about new features. Things happen :).
Fractal Grinder

:mrgreen:

Ahh man, here is hoping its sooner rather than later, I would pay to add this to my Magic.
Fractal Grinder

I was thinking aobut this and was also wondering, is there anyway to look at DPI settings right now, if not can you look into that for the future?
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Are you referring to your monitor? If so, I added better DPI compatibility in 1.62, and also the option to increase the font size in 1.63. What version are you running?