Previous topicNext topic

Different Kind of Rotation

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
Fractal Grinder

Different Kind of Rotation

Post by Fractal Grinder »

I'm working on a project that I need something to rotate around the end instead of the middle of an object. Is there anyway to achieve this?
Magic
Site Admin

Re: Different Kind of Rotation

Post by Magic »

Yep, basically what you want to do is put a Translate module before a RotateAxis module.

Something like this:
Rotate.jpg
Rotate.jpg (37.22 KiB) Viewed 5571 times
The important thing to understand is that the RotateAxis module always rotates around the center of the window, so if you want to rotate something on its end, you have to move its end to the center.
Fractal Grinder

Post by Fractal Grinder »

Thank you.
D1gits

Post by D1gits »

Hi there Im totally new on this program. But I like it already : )

Works great for me to use the Translate tool to set a different rotation point. But I need the image to appear at a specific spot on my composition. How do I move the image on the X and Y axis without the Translate tool?

All the Best. Erik
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Hmm, well that's exactly what the Translate module is for... unless I'm not understanding?
D1gits

Post by D1gits »

Ok sorry for the confusion. Im making a "analog VU meter" and have a simple black line that indicates the value of the sound. Now I use the Translate module to set the rotation to start from the lowest part of the line, but I also need the line to be positioned at a lower Y value. How can I achieve this movement on the Y axis at the same time as I'm selecting a new rotation point.

Also, is there a way to set a max and min scale? Right now the line works great until a specific volume then it continues beyond the VU meter graphic...

Thanks for now!
Attachments
Skärmavbild 2016-02-29 kl. 09.49.55.png
Skärmavbild 2016-02-29 kl. 09.49.55.png (221.31 KiB) Viewed 5444 times
blackdot

Post by blackdot »

As far as i understand this, you need to use a translate module to position your black line. Then use an axis rotaion module and make the z axis react to the volume. Then use an offset modifier to rotate the line to the min value when the volume is silent, then use a scale modifier and set it up so that the line reaches the max value when the volume is the loudest.
Reigel

Post by Reigel »

You need a second translate after the rotate module to move the origin of Your needle to where You want it.

It usually is better to set the scale factor first to determine the range of the needle. Then use offset if needed.
To mimic the ballistics of a VU You could use a smooth and a peak module.

Reinhard
D1gits

Post by D1gits »

Thanks Black dot and Reinhard!

Got it working now...