Previous topicNext topic

saveable presets for modules, and mathematical recall

Suggestions for new features for Magic.
Kvasnik

saveable presets for modules, and mathematical recall

Post by Kvasnik »

Hi, I think saveable presets for modules would help to speed the workflow of using magic. So for example, you could save and recall a 2D contrast module with the values set at useful levels.

More importantly though, would be to have saveable mathematical functions, so if you have a sine oscillator with a smooth and peak function, that you can quickly load this, rather than recreate it for each project.

Connected to this , the ability to write mathematical formulae directly would be a big time-saver. So for example, instead of using a scale function, I could open a box and write "=Input*7".

I've been using the program a short while now and I am still getting used to using it, but I think it is quite a powerful program and concept. For me, most interesting is the level of detail you can apply to specific parameters, and the added use of sine waves and other LFOs to modulate the effects.
Magic
Site Admin

Re: saveable presets for modules, and mathematical recall

Post by Magic »

Those are good suggestions, thanks. I've actually been thinking about a way to store presets for parameters and modifiers.

A few small things I have on the drawing board are copy/paste for modifiers, as well as global variables for parameters. In the short term these should help get closer to your ideas.
GruntyG

Post by GruntyG »

Great would be if you could link certain parameters between Moduls so you can change them together.
e.g. I have a "60 band spectrum" and each polygon reacts to its own frequency range. But parameters like adding some smoothness I would like to change all 60 at the same time.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Ok, thanks. I think there will be a solution for that in the near future.
Kvasnik

Post by Kvasnik »

Hi so after using magic for a while longer now I have some reflections on my previous feature requests...

Regarding saveable presets for modules, this doesn't seem so important anymore - the ability to copy and paste modules (even between projects) effectively covers this I think. But perhaps a useful function would be, instead of saveable presets, to have saveable scenes, which could then be imported into other projects. This would make it easy to create an archive of scenes which could be brought into new projects at whim. Also I suspect this would be easier for you to implement than saveable presets?

Regards!
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Actually, you can already import another project with the File > Import Project command. This lets you bring in all the imported project's scenes into your current project.

The only catch is that you have to import all the scenes in the project. So, eventually I will be adding an option to let you pick which scenes to import.

Anyway, try the Import Project command and let me know what you think.
Kvasnik

Post by Kvasnik »

Ok, so that should about do it - I can just design a number of 1-scene projects, and then import them individually, and it would work the same as I wanted.

Sorry I missed that feature, I should pay more attention!