Previous topicNext topic

Live Triggering With SPD-SX

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
Davy

Live Triggering With SPD-SX

Post by Davy »

I am on mmv for a few days now and i can't figure out this simple thing:

I connected my SPD-SX sample pad with midi out to mmv; mmv sees the spd-sx. I loaded a video file and in 'Goto Start' i conncect a midi note from the spd sx. But nothing happens.

But when I replaced the spd with a keyboard (SLMK III) it worked jus fine.

So why doesn't it work wit de SPD? I read a post concerning the spd, but i don't understand the solution.
Sadler

Re: Live Triggering With SPD-SX

Post by Sadler »

Try page 69 of the SPD-SX manual - it talks about all the midi modes you can select on the drum pads.
Davy

Post by Davy »

I tried every midi setting in de spd-sx. There is one thing where mmv reacted and that was when I turned the Gate on ALT which means:

A note-on and note-off will be transmitted alternately each time you play the pad.

When this option was on, every time I hit a pad on the SPD, the visual was triggered, the second time i hit that same pad, the visual did'nt show up. The next time I triggered that pad, the visual was triggered etc....

In another post about the spd I read the following:

'My controller send note on, note off quite at the same time, so the function does'nt work.'

So with this I understand why the spd in Gate ALT mode, triggers the image; because the note value is on, and long enough because there is no note value of in the signal.

So my conclusion is that indeed the note on and note off are very very close to eachother so that mmv doesn't play it.

Am i right? And how to can i tackle this one?

I bought this mmv specific for this reason; triggering video files with the spd-sx during live performances. I can't imagine that mmv can't do this trick.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Most likely, the note ON is sent when you press the button down, and the note OFF is sent when you release the button.

So, maybe holding the button down a bit longer will be the solution?
Davy

Post by Davy »

i am a drummer :) I can't play like that. And it doesn't work also, i tried.
Sadler

Post by Sadler »

Try MIDI View to monitor the midi flow for each mode.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

How about adding a Peak modifier? This might slow the decay of the button press.
Davy

Post by Davy »

the midi view is handy, i see that there is a note on and note of when i hit a pad.

The peak modifier doesn't give any reaction. any other modifier which might work? Has this topic got something to do with the momentary / toggle button subject?

There is an app; midipipe; this app is able to lengthen a note but the app is not available anymore I read, also midi hotkey.
Davy

Post by Davy »

in fact the peak modifier reacts but very unstable; sometimes it triggers and sometimes not
skarabee

Post by skarabee »

Hello, hope you have found a solution for your SPD. If not, here is a trick: use "loopMIDI" (Tobias Erichsen) to route your midi input to a VST host (Vst host by Hermann Seib is a light and robust one) and load midi vst such as found in "Pizmidi" plugin suite to filter Note off messages.