Previous topicNext topic

Graphical "MIDI" Timeline

Suggestions for new features for Magic.
TEHK

Graphical "MIDI" Timeline

Post by TEHK »

So, if you've ever worked with a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) you are probably familiar with the concept of MIDI and recording MIDI parameters across a timeline.

As I use Magic more, I think of how the process may benefit from having a similar capability of recording and playing back module parameters across a timeline.

There could be a per-scene editable timeline that captures the scene's module parameters as a performance, recording them across time just like MIDI notes/control signals. The performance could be played back again, looping (just like a DAW) to capture additional parameters on top of previously recorded data to add layers.

Just like a DAW, you could also edit the timeline directly with copy/paste functions, or drawing with a mouse, the parameter data over time.

A master scene timeline could even have a super-overview to coordinate the start/stop of individual scene performances in a similar fashion.
Magic
Site Admin

Re: Graphical "MIDI" Timeline

Post by Magic »

There is a MIDI recording capability. Please see the User's Guide for further info.
TEHK

Post by TEHK »

Aye, I am aware of having MIDI parameter control in Performer... but this is only for live performances.

Being able to produce a video as if producing a song by being able to save the midi performances to graphical timelines that can be edited is what I am after.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Not MIDI parameter control. MIDI recording (and file playback). MIDI file playback is not for live performances. Please read this section of the User's Guide: https://magicmusicvisuals.com/downloads ... AudioFiles

The only thing that is not implemented is a graphical timeline, which is because other apps can do that much better. It is suggested that you use a standalone MIDI editor while running Magic. You can use this in conjunction with the Reload file option in Magic.