Previous topicNext topic

Rotate object continually

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
OldNick

Rotate object continually

Post by OldNick »

I want an object on screen to rotate or Translate etc)continuously, but so far I can only get a repeating oscillation. If I use a Ramp, or Sine Wave etc, to get it to cause continuous rotation it has to be very slow and I want to set a faster rotate.

Any help appreciated.

Nick
Terry Payman

Re: Rotate object continually

Post by Terry Payman »

If you use the Ramp modifier, set a higher value than the default of 1.0 to get proportionately faster rotation.

Similarly for Sine.
OldNick

Post by OldNick »

Thanks for the reply.
But
I realised that setting a higher figure gave me a faster rotation from the Ramp. I must have done something wrong, because unless it was a very slow rotation, it would reset all the time.

I am not sure what happened with Ramp: it does rotate continuously.

Sine does not, I assume because it goes into negative.
Terry Payman

Post by Terry Payman »

I don't quite understand - do you now have the rotation working as you wish with the ramp?

The ramp is a good waveform to use for driving the rotation. It will give a constant angular velocity.
OldNick

Post by OldNick »

Sorry yeah, I was not very clear. I applaud your politeness. :)

When I first tried it, IIRC it would not keep rotating. But when I tried again after posting my OP. It did work. :?

Nick
knuty123

Post by knuty123 »

you could alternatively use the increase modifier to archive continous endless rotation. 👌
OldNick

Post by OldNick »

Thanks for the reply.
l
I have to be blunt. Why would I use Increase?

Here is my problem. The Help site, AFAICS, has no Search. So RTFM is not that easy, if you are exploring. Which I am sure is how most folk work,

Nick
knuty123

Post by knuty123 »

I am not quite if I understood you right. You want an object to rotate endlessly right? In such cases I always use the increase modifier on the rotate module. By the way I am also rather new to magic :D
OldNick

Post by OldNick »

so tell me what is the difference between the increase and the ramp
Terry Payman

Post by Terry Payman »

OldNick wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 5:14 pm ... The Help site, AFAICS, has no Search...
There are three search methods that I find useful:

The Magic User's Guide https://magicmusicvisuals.com/downloads ... Guide.html is readily searchable in a browser - type Ctrl+F (Windows) or Cmd+F (Mac).

The Magic Forums can be searched by the simple search Search box on the Forums page, alternatively using the advanced search search.php which gives more control.

Magic's whole website can be searched by Google with the following search prefix "site:magicmusicvisuals.com " (no quotes, leave a space at the end before your search string).
Terry Payman

Post by Terry Payman »

OldNick wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 7:24 pm so tell me what is the difference between the increase and the ramp
Either will work for a simple rotation. They are AFAIK interchangeable in this application, with no difference in the behaviour.

Personally I prefer Ramp, as the value can always be read with high resolution. With Increase the digits in front of the decimal point are not meaningful as an angle (being multiples of a complete rotation). However, resolution of the angle readout progressively reduces as more digits are needed for the increasing value. In time you will see only one decimal place.

Most often I wish to rotate something in response to music. For this I set a Ramp value of 0.0, with an appropriate music Source. Setting an Increase value of 0.0 works in the same way. Setting the Freq. Range of the source is useful, as is using a Peak modifier before the Ramp to give a more conspicuous pulse of rotation.
OldNick

Post by OldNick »

[/quote]
There are three search methods that I find useful:

The Magic User's Guide https://magicmusicvisuals.com/downloads ... Guide.html is readily searchable in a browser - type Ctrl+F (Windows) or Cmd+F (Mac).
[/quote]

AH.I did not realise that the whole manual was on one page. Thanks.

[/quote]The Magc Forums can be searched by the simple search Search box on the Forums page, alternatively using the advanced search search.php which gives more control. [/quote]

OK.Got that.

[/quote]Magic's whole website can be searched by Google with the following search prefix "site:magicmusicvisuals.com " (no quotes, leave a space at the end before your search string).
[/quote]

Now THAT is something I had not heard about. AND I tested it and it works all over the place! Thank you!

EDIT: I see that I have not got the gist of breaking up quotes. But anyway I hope to get my drift.

Nick
OldNick

Post by OldNick »

Either will work for a simple rotation. They are AFAIK interchangeable in this application, with no difference in the behaviour.

Personally I prefer Ramp, as the value can always be read with high resolution. With Increase the digits in front of the decimal point are not meaningful as an angle (being multiples of a complete rotation). However, resolution of the angle readout progressively reduces as more digits are needed for the increasing value. In time you will see only one decimal place.
Ah yes I discovered the fact that Angle is 1 for a complete rotation. I was caught by that.
Most often I wish to rotate something in response to music. For this I set a Ramp value of 0.0, with an appropriate music Source. Setting an Increase value of 0.0 works in the same way. Setting the Freq. Range of the source is useful, as is using a Peak modifier before the Ramp to give a more conspicuous pulse of rotation.
Sorry. Why have a Ramp value of 0? Why not just not have a Ramp modifier at all?

Yeah I could use Freq Range, but ATM I export each Track from my DAW to an mp3 and then use them as files to be addressed by each source. It's laborious, but suits my way of thinking and expertise.

I also create audio tracks that have envelopes that respond to my needs: ramps that I set up, or changing envelopes that do, etc.

.... and NOW I have the quote system worked out. :)
Nick
Terry Payman

Post by Terry Payman »

OldNick wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 11:20 am
Terry Payman wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 6:43 pm Most often I wish to rotate something in response to music. For this I set a Ramp value of 0.0, with an appropriate music Source. Setting an Increase value of 0.0 works in the same way. Setting the Freq. Range of the source is useful, as is using a Peak modifier before the Ramp to give a more conspicuous pulse of rotation.
Sorry. Why have a Ramp value of 0? Why not just not have a Ramp modifier at all?
Without the Ramp the rotation will follow the instantaneous volume of the source, louder giving more rotation. For example on a single drum beat the rotation would suddenly increase from zero then quickly decrease back to zero. A second drum beat would have the same effect, with rotation returning to zero afterwards. Your technique of having a separate control track would be useful in this case, as the angle of rotation could be controlled using an audio track's amplitude envelope (although careful calibration of level would be needed).

With the Ramp the rotation will always be in one direction. A single drum beat will increase the rotation by a certain amount, another identical drum beat would further increase the rotation by the same amount. In effect the Ramp is adding up ("integrating") all the amplitudes of all the drum beats. For example, one could have a clock face where the angle of a hand was controlled in this manner. Each beat of the drum would move the hand further round the clock face.
OldNick wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 11:20 am .... and NOW I have the quote system worked out. :)
Well done. You have the basics, but there's even more - and it can greatly clarify who said what and where. If you manually create the quotes its helpful to add the name of the quoted person inside the first square brackets , eg quote=Terry Payman instead of just quote. I find it very helpful to use the Preview button to check that I haven't messed up when I'm doing this manually!

There's a much easier way, that gives a back-link to the quoted post as well as the name of the poster - and it only needs a single click to do all of that! Once you are posting (or replying) you can click on the quote mark in any previous post. This will copy that post into the body of your new post, together with the name of the person that you are quoting and a link direct to the quoted post . You will see that I have done this for this post of mine, so each of our names appear in the quotes together with a little up-arrow (the back-link to the quoted post).

Note that the back-link is a new feature - you won't find it on old quotes.

Generally you will need to edit the quoted post(s), separating the sections that you wish to comment on. After the first quoted section add [/quote] before your comment. After your comment copy the first [square bracketed] line from the quoted post. You'll see that it contains the name of the poster and a unique ID for the specific post.
OldNick

Post by OldNick »

Terry Payman wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:15 pm Without the Ramp the rotation will follow the instantaneous volume of the source, louder giving more rotation. For example on a single drum beat the rotation would suddenly increase from zero then quickly decrease back to zero. A second drum beat would have the same effect, with rotation returning to zero afterwards. Your technique of having a separate control track would be useful in this case, as the angle of rotation could be controlled using an audio track's amplitude envelope (although careful calibration of level would be needed).

With the Ramp the rotation will always be in one direction. A single drum beat will increase the rotation by a certain amount, another identical drum beat would further increase the rotation by the same amount. In effect the Ramp is adding up ("integrating") all the amplitudes of all the drum beats. For example, one could have a clock face where the angle of a hand was controlled in this manner. Each beat of the drum would move the hand further round the clock face.
Ok yes I tried and that is what happens with the 0.0 Ramp.

I have no trouble working out how to set a level in Reaper, or Audacity, so that should not be a problem.

I won't quote your description of quoting with back-link. I think I have it sussed. Bit thank you for taking the trouble. I had no idea until you told me.
OldNick

Post by OldNick »

I would just like to add that this conversation set me off on searches for YT tutes and this has opened a whole new level of working with Magic. Thank you
Terry Payman

Post by Terry Payman »

OldNick wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:06 am ... this conversation set me off on searches for YT tutes and this has opened a whole new level of working with Magic. Thank you
You're welcome! I'm glad that I could help. Thanks for the acknowledgement - sometimes there's none and I wonder if the OP bothered reading my reply to their question.
OldNick

Post by OldNick »

Yeah I try VERY hard not to let a conversation hang. Don't always get it right. :roll: