Previous topicNext topic

OSC vs MIDI - thoughts?

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
Slavi

OSC vs MIDI - thoughts?

Post by Slavi »

So...

tl:dr:
Are there any downsides of using OSC vs Midi? Currently, 100% of the time I am using the midi sliders/faders to modify modules/parameters?

I've purchased Magic back in 2016 and this was my first step towards the VJ worlds (I cannot express enough my gratitute towards Eric and everyone from the community). Since then I've been using various physical MIDI controllers. However, I am at the point where I REALLY need the flexability of TouchOSC (please note I am total TouchOSC noob!)

In my desperate attempts for using TouchOSC + TouchOSCBridge in order to relay a Midi Signal, I eventually tried to RTFM (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RTFM) :D and made my setup using Open Sound Control:8000. Everything works as a charm!!!

Any examples of use cases where I would need MIDI (excluding imputing signals from musical insturments, etc).

Thank you for your time!!!

Rock on!
Magic
Site Admin

Re: OSC vs MIDI - thoughts?

Post by Magic »

The only thing about OSC is that if you are going to use it in a live performance situation, you need to be careful about using wi-fi, because it can be unreliable. So if you can't set up your own private wired network with Ethernet cables, then you should probably stick with MIDI cables to connect things.
Slavi

Re: OSC vs MIDI - thoughts?

Post by Slavi »

Thank you!

I'll consider a Plan B) with running OSC on the same PC with Magic + a Touch Screen! :)

All the best!