Previous topicNext topic

Couldn't open Device - Voicemeeter ASIO

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
mutton44

Couldn't open Device - Voicemeeter ASIO

Post by mutton44 »

Hi,

What I'm Doing:
Using Voicemeeter Virtual ASIO to be able to import multiple audio sources into Magic. I've gone with this approach because the VBAN functionality in Voicemeeter is also being used.

The Problem:
Using "Voicemeeter Insert Virtual ASIO" as a source. I'm presented with "Couldn't open audio device:..." I'm a bit clueless as to why. It was working perfectly. Now it is not and I don't know what has changed. All Voicemeeter ASIO Devices present the "Couldn't open" dialog box

Troubleshooting:
"Voicemeeter Insert ASIO" device are still available and working in my DAW, so it appears its not Voicemeeter ASIO is still working okay.

Was initially using Magic V.2.30 but have updated to 2.32. Have reinstalled both Magic and Voicemeeter. I'd rather not have to re-install windows(10) if there is a known way of troubleshooting this.

A workaround that half works is using asio4all as a device in Magic and adding Voicemeeter VAIO as device in asio4all). But isn't as nice as the direct voicemeeter ASIO appoach which gives more available channels to use as sources in Magic.

Please Help :)
I don't know where to start looking, does anyone have any pointers? ie log files that may present some clues.
If there is a better way of sending sound across a network and using them as separate sources in Magic, I'm open to trying something else if it works.

Many thanks in advance
Magic
Site Admin

Re: Couldn't open Device - Voicemeeter ASIO

Post by Magic »

Try the “Close input device” option in the Input Sources menu, then restart Magic.
mutton44

Post by mutton44 »

I've given that a try. No change to the the situation.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Could be a conflict with your system audio device. Try disabling or selecting another one in the control panel.
walmartian

Post by walmartian »

Any program running ASIO will take eclusive control over the interface and make it unavailable to other applications,.
Some devices are reluctant to "release" the driver when exiting a program.
Go to the sound control panel in windows and disable any devices you aren't utilizing and make sure voicemeeter is set as default for input and output.
In windows sound control panel select the target device > properties > advanced. Uncheck the two boxes regarding exclusive control. Do this for each device being utilized.
Reboot your computer and try running Magic with no other audio applications running.
You may need to launch Magic prior to your daw to prevent the daw from taking control of the interface.
Hardware interfaces running ASIO can interfere as well.
If none of this works you can go into windows control panel and disable audio devices until you find the device taking control.
These are things I have done to troubleshoot VB/Voicemeeter previously.
Good luck.

If all else fails you can contact VB audio since they probably know best how to troubleshoot your issue.
https://discord.com/invite/TF42rahAXS