Previous topicNext topic

Midi Output!!

Suggestions for new features for Magic.
sachismo

Midi Output!!

Post by sachismo »

Hi Eric,

I love all the Audio analysis and math functions in your program. Have been getting some great results!

Now I just wish I could send midi out simultaneously to other programs that aren't quite so smart.. i.e: use multiple audio inputs through magic to animate parameters of VJ software.. I know other folks who would buy the software for this feature alone as well.

Seems like all the hard work is done and it could be a relatively easy add to do a midi output module? Let us know if this seems feasible or if there may already be another solution I am missing..

Thanks!
Magic
Site Admin

Re: Midi Output!!

Post by Magic »

Thanks, that's an interesting idea. It's probably better suited for a standalone utility though, since it would be a bit of overkill to have Magic running just to send out MIDI messages. Even if Magic wasn't displaying any graphics, its engine would still take some CPU and GPU resources away from any other VJ apps that are active on the same machine, causing them to run more slowly.

I don't know if there are already any products on the market like what you're describing. So maybe it could be something for us to release in the future! :)
damstraversaz

Post by damstraversaz »

that's a really nice idea, and it could be very interesting with the actual version too.
sachismo

Post by sachismo »

Yes in the program or standalone would both be great! As I would already be be running Magic in through syphon anyway and routing audio into it, I think having it in the same program would be awesome.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Ah, I see what you're saying. Fair enough :)
walmartian

Post by walmartian »

You might try this, although it is a plug-in, not stand-alone.
http://www.thepiz.org/plugins/?p=pizmidi
Has some cool functionality including audio to midi cc.
You can do quite a bit with it as long as you are running a compatible host.
Free and open source.