Previous topicNext topic

Feature request compilation.

Suggestions for new features for Magic.
walmartian

Feature request compilation.

Post by walmartian »

Just a compilation of requests made to this date and a list of features already implemented. -(XX)

Feature development
XX- FFGL module for loading FFGL 1.5 plugins
XX- Syphon output of entire application on OS X, including playlist transitions
XX- Spout sender/receiver modules (http://spout.zeal.co) for video sharing on Windows, as well as output of entire application via Spout[/color]
XX- "MIDI learn" function for assigning custom MIDI commands to various parameters and buttons
XX- Option to keep small Magic Window visible simultaneously with fullscreen Magic Window
XX- Loading of custom star images into Starfield module
- Multiple simultaneous audio devices for input
- Module for loading and dynamically manipulating folders of images
- Improved support for different VidCap resolutions
XX- Darker UI color scheme for use in dimly lit environments, such as clubs or concerts
- Modules for drawing basic 3D geometry: spheres, cubes, etc.
- Modules for more 2D effects: chroma key, blur, posterize, threshold, etc.
XX- Module for loading custom 2D GLSL effects
- More types of playlist transitions: wipe, twirl, zoom, etc.
XX- MIDI control for module power/bypass buttons and for playlist prev/next buttons
- Magic Window output to multiple simultaneous displays
- Hardware-accelerated video playback in Video module
- Animation of 3D models in Model module
- Multiple playlists per project
- Improved audio pitch detection

Feature requests
~Scene cross fade
XX~Array module (see http://magicmusicvisuals.com/forums/vie ... ?f=3&t=220 for shader)
~Kinect
~Multi-screen output
~Node switcher
XX~Opacity module (see http://magicmusicvisuals.com/forums/vie ... ?f=3&t=220 for shader)
~Text module
~Osc input
~Curve or envelope editor/timeline
~Drag and drop
XX~Project backup
~Project repair (missing files)
~BPM clock/tap bpm
XX~Gain reduction
XX~Extra-fine parameter adjustment

Let me know if I missed something.
Magic
Site Admin

Re: Feature request compilation.

Post by Magic »

Thanks, that's helpful. I'll try to update this list when new versions are officially released.
nsputnik

Post by nsputnik »

Hi Eric. I would like to suggest that you do not spend resources to develop a module that draws basic 3D geometry. You already have the Model module. If people want basic shapes you can just draw a few dozen with Sketchup and include the .obj files. And there are already a ton of Sketchup models out there in what is called the Sketchup Warehouse. If user want to get really fancy they can draw their own models in Sketchup, export as .obj, import into the Models module. I have done this with the existing version of Magic and it works great. Maybe you should add Sketchup to your Additional Resources page. However, export Sketchup models as .obj is only available in the pro version or during the 30 day trial period.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Yeah, that's why I haven't made basic 3D geometry a priority -- I figured people could just import whatever models they wanted to, and there are so many online resources for models, and then of course there is Blender. But there is one advantage of having more built-in geometry modules, which is the ability to dynamically control shapes in response to audio/MIDI (for example, adjusting the number of vertices). So for now it's still on my list of things to do. :)
Jojo

Post by Jojo »

Hi!
First of all, great tool! :)

This request compilation is great, but I think there are some requests missing (that would be ideal to have for live performances ;) )

- The ability to directly control (all) modifiers with MIDI (in addition to control only the values of a module) (post #1185)
- The ability to control modifiers with (global and local) variables
- Having a formula-based interface alternative (post #1367) and maybe even with conditional expressions like 'if-then-else'. :-)
- Panning with the middle mouse (post #761)

The MIDI-controllable modifiers would enable you to alter (e.g. scale, clamp, threshold) an effect that reacts to audio input with a single turn of an encoder. Second, quickly adjust a variable (preferrably also via MIDI input) to have an effect to multiple scenes, modules and modifiers.

Thanks and keep up the good work! :-)
Jojo
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Thanks :). All those things are definitely on my personal to-do list, even if they aren't always updated here in this topic or on the forum in general.