Previous topicNext topic

To decrease the volume less then zero

Suggestions for new features for Magic.
vdjane

To decrease the volume less then zero

Post by vdjane »

When I use external audio source and edit and fine-tune 50 or more modules in a scene :geek: and decide later on to use an audio file instead of external audio, it would be nice if I can adjust it's volume beneath the 0. Because the audio db's from some files is much louder than the external input. Then I have to do so many fine tuning again to the modules. :(
vdjane

Re: To decrease the volume less then zero

Post by vdjane »

I saw to late there was already a request for more gain reduction under the UI requests or was there meant something else?
Terry Payman

Post by Terry Payman »

We want the same thing :), although the main reason for my original request http://magicmusicvisuals.com/forums/vie ... t=228#p807 was to adjust for the difference between individual music tracks rather than between inputs. I find the peak-to-average volume ratio varies significantly between tracks even of the same genre.

Actually I have a further suggestion:
In addition to +/- volume, I would like a graphic equaliser with bands to match the "Freq. Range" options.

I often use one or more "Freq. Range"s within a scene as well as general "Volume" responsive elements.
I find that the relative levels of frequency ranges can change significantly between tracks, especially if the genre is different.
In a live situation it would be much easier to re-tune scenes if the frequency balance of the input audio could be adjusted within Magic.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

That sounds reasonable. :) When you say "to match the Freq. Range options", do you mean that those 5 ranges would be sufficient?
vdjane

Post by vdjane »

30 bands graphic EQ is in my opinion minimal sufficient :) starting at:
25 Hz
40 (When the music is mastered very well everything below 40 is thrown out especially for boom boom music :D )
20000 Hz
An EQ which will fit in a separate module so you could patch it (before) to any other module?
Or the possibility to patch from individual frequencies of a master EQ module? Without affecting the original audio signal off course. So you can mute totally or lift frequencies very precise and eliminate rumble which affect visuals unwanted.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

the possibility to patch from individual frequencies of a master EQ module
Yeah, this will probably work the best. You would have one EQ per audio input, similar to how the audio gain is now.
Terry Payman

Post by Terry Payman »

Eric wrote:...You would have one EQ per audio input, similar to how the audio gain is now.
Cool. This would be very useful. :D A few thoughts on the subject:
- 30-band spectrum display would be helpful to show level in each freq band of a particular input.
- Allow multi-select of adjacent bands of 30-band graphic to facilitate quick adjustment.
- Option of a parametric EQ. Quicker to tune for boosting/cutting a particular frequency range when a track changes.

Otherwise it's quite time consuming to adjust a graphic if each 1/3-octave needs separate level setting.