Previous topicNext topic

Optional Embedding of GLSL | ISF | SHADER FILES

Suggestions for new features for Magic.
visuality

Optional Embedding of GLSL | ISF | SHADER FILES

Post by visuality »

Scripts are extremely small, I am referring to GLSL | ISF ect files, why not just embed them into the patch. On occasion I redefine my folder structures that hold scripts to better reflect their contents. doing so breaks patches. No patch would ever break if the code were embedded in patch, I am suggesting this be a switch to turn on as a option in preferences or as you import a shader to make your patch guaranteed to function should you change the source scripts folder paths.

Some other suggestions....likely to have been suggested before.

Save Snapshop to Patch folder (no file save dialog)
I dont think this is easy because even more mature app with many devs like vvvv do not have a patch previews, I do think a internal screen capture save to a already existing patch folder without a file save dialog would be doable from what ive seen done in the magic thus far. We would also have to be able to the image while using the file open option.

Groups
Groups would be a selection [collection] of nodes within a patch that are relative to a category happening within that patch, for example text animation, videos, graphics, jpeg imports, give the node group a name and youve created a category. this group can be turned off and on, given a color,

Color Wires with node id on hover and location snapping
Ideal for nodes that are far off screen perhaps 2-3 screen lengths down. One,, the wire from a node can be colored distinguishing it as part of a group, i.e. VCV rack, two, on mouse hover of a wire connected to a node, node info will display, pressing a key will snap that node to center of screen.

Node Navigation
Again for super complex patching, clicking with key combo at a nodes end of chain will highlight and snap trace to
A) the preceding node
B) the very first node where that chain begins

Custom Colorize a Node Header
Just the top header or Header and Cable for easy id.
Magic
Site Admin

Re: Optional Embedding of GLSL | ISF | SHADER FILES

Post by Magic »

Thanks. Yes, we've discussed many of those things in other topics, particularly all the color options. You may not have noticed the new Annotation colors: https://magicmusicvisuals.com/downloads ... nnotations

For the shaders, embedding them in projects is an interesting idea, but just realize that they wouldn't be accessible to other projects. The advantage of having them as separate files is that they are very easy to share/reuse. Plus, you say that "they are very small", but this is not always true; some of them are quite large. Just depends on the effect.
On occasion I redefine my folder structures that hold scripts to better reflect their contents. doing so breaks patches
I'm not aware of any application whose projects don't break when you move assets around :)
mouse hover of a wire connected to a node, node info will display, pressing a key will snap that node to center of screen.
Yes the snapping idea is an interesting one, thanks.