Previous topicNext topic

Erratic translation of MIDI data

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
sameloop

Erratic translation of MIDI data

Post by sameloop »

Hi. I have MIDI notes triggering various things in my setup, but I've noticed that the note and velocity (probably others too, but haven't tried) comes in and randomly changes value by a tiny, fixed amount every time, even when the same data is being sent. It's around 0.01, so small but obviously it affects the outcome. I have two notes, both at 127 velocity, but different notes, and one will come in as, say 0.0785 and the next something like 0.0850 or similar.

Just wondering why this is and what I might do to correct it?

I should mention that this is Ableton Live sending the MIDI, via Bome MIDI translator into Magic, as it could be Bome MT going awry.

Thanks.
Magic
Site Admin

Re: Erratic translation of MIDI data

Post by Magic »

Have you tried using LoopBe1 (http://www.nerds.de/en/loopbe1.html)? It lets you forward MIDI data between programs without any modification of the data. It might be a good first step to see if Bome is the source of the problem.
sameloop

Post by sameloop »

Eric wrote:Have you tried using LoopBe1 (http://www.nerds.de/en/loopbe1.html)? It lets you forward MIDI data between programs without any modification of the data. It might be a good first step to see if Bome is the source of the problem.
Hi, yes, that would be the most sensible troubleshooting step for sure. I'll give it a go. Thanks.
sameloop

Post by sameloop »

sameloop wrote:
Eric wrote:Have you tried using LoopBe1 (http://www.nerds.de/en/loopbe1.html)? It lets you forward MIDI data between programs without any modification of the data. It might be a good first step to see if Bome is the source of the problem.
Hi, yes, that would be the most sensible troubleshooting step for sure. I'll give it a go. Thanks.
Hi. Tried that - still the same, unfortunately. Odd. It's the randomness that is obviously the strange part, all other things being equal.

My system in general is normally very stable otherwise.

I'm trying to think of another good troubleshooting angle...

Obviously it's not out of the question that Live is the culprit. Some kind of internal 'jitter' or bad filtering of outgoing data. I don't know, that's a stab in the dark! Bit beyond my technical knowledge.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

I have two notes, both at 127 velocity, but different notes, and one will come in as, say 0.0785 and the next something like 0.0850 or similar.
If a note has 127 velocity, it should be coming into Magic as 1.0... Do you have an idea of why your values are so much smaller than that?
sameloop

Post by sameloop »

OK - I'm an idiot. I won't go into detail, but yes. Something I forgot to check. :oops:

As you were and sorry to bother you!