Previous topicNext topic

MIDI triggered scene changes during export

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
teacue

MIDI triggered scene changes during export

Post by teacue »

Hi,

new on this board and new to MMV I would like to express first my enthusiasm for your great programm and for the amazing graphic results one can achieve with it :-)

Working on my first project I am somehow confused about how to trigger scene changes with MIDI during export movie.

Here is what I did:

I.
Using MIDI program changes I was able to trigger scene changes playing live a music project in my DAW (Cubase) that was connected through LoopBe to MMV.
(BTW In order to do this it was necessary for MMV to first MIDI learn the MIDI Program Changes from my DAW)

II.
I tried then to trigger the scene changes only with a MIDI file playing from within MMV.
To achieve this:
1. I saved the music project from Cubase as MIDI file (including the MIDI program change commands)
2. I imported the MIDI file into MMV
3. In the playlist window of MMV I choosed for the MIDI input the first LoopBe port
4. In the Audio MIDI windows of MMV I choosed for the MIDI output also the first LoopBe port
5. Starting the MIDI file from within MMV I could see that the scene changes were succesfully triggered exactly as if the MIDI file had been played from Cubase :-)

III.
I tried then to export the movie:
1. In the export window of MMV I choosed the option "Use Playlist"
2. During the export process I could already see that no scene changes occur
3. The exported movie did not contain any scene change :-(

Do I miss something or is it simply not possible to export a movie with MIDI triggered scene changes?

If no, what shall one do?

I am aware that it is possible to use the "auto-advanced" function and to set a start time for each scene in the playlist.
But you write in the User's Guide:
"the auto-advanced function is not millisecond-accurate, and exact synchronization is not guaranteed. For the highest level of timing accuracy, MIDI control should be used."
Also I notice that you write further:
"When creating a playlist for exporting to a movie file, the auto-advance duration is fully accurate."
What does it mean exactly?

Best regards
Magic
Site Admin

Re: MIDI triggered scene changes during export

Post by Magic »

Do I miss something or is it simply not possible to export a movie with MIDI triggered scene changes?
Currently you can't trigger the Playlist directly from a MIDI file, but I'm hoping to add this in the future.
3. In the playlist window of MMV I choosed for the MIDI input the first LoopBe port
4. In the Audio MIDI windows of MMV I choosed for the MIDI output also the first LoopBe port
Very clever solution! :)
I am aware that it is possible to use the "auto-advanced" function and to set a start time for each scene in the playlist.
Yes, this is what you should do. If you set the Start Time for each scene, it will work perfectly in the export. :)
teacue

Re: MIDI triggered scene changes during export

Post by teacue »

Thanks for your answer.
Eric wrote:Currently you can't trigger the Playlist directly from a MIDI file, but I'm hoping to add this in the future.
Nice to hear that it will possibly come.
If you set the Start Time for each scene, it will work perfectly in the export. :)
OK

Best regards