Previous topicNext topic

Audio Routing with Virtual Audio Device

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
Astromagnum

Audio Routing with Virtual Audio Device

Post by Astromagnum »

Hi,

I would like to know how to route multiple audio channels from Ableton Live into Magic, so i can trigger visuals with the audio from each separate channel.

I've attempted to use bounced/rendered audio stems from Live and import them into Magic - this method works but is clunky, as it is difficult to monitor what audio track is triggering whichever visual. I believe it would be easier to run Live in realtime as I can mix the audio rather than work with 'fixed' stems.

I have installed Soundflower which allows up to 64 virtual audio channels, and also have tried Loopback, but I am not sure how to configure either one application for this to work correctly.

If I chose Soundflower 64 as my audio device in Live, I hear no sound. I can see it as a device in Magic (as I can all other physical or virtual devices), but Live is not utilising Soundflower to send it's audio to Magic.

Can someone explain simply how this is achieved? Do I need both Soundflower and Loopback? Ideally I need to know what device or devices to use in my Mac's audio setup, Live and Loopback (if Loopback is required).

I am running OS Sierra and I'm using an Allen and Health Zed 22 FX mixing console as my main physical audio device.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Many Thanks
Magic
Site Admin

Re: Audio Routing with Virtual Audio Device

Post by Magic »

If I chose Soundflower 64 as my audio device in Live, I hear no sound. I can see it as a device in Magic (as I can all other physical or virtual devices), but Live is not utilising Soundflower to send it's audio to Magic.

Do I need both Soundflower and Loopback?
Soundflower by itself should be enough. Just make sure that you:

1) choose Soundflower as your output device in Live
2) choose Soundflower as your input device in Magic
3) configure Soundflower so that its output is the one connected to your speakers

If you do all the above steps, I think everything should work properly.

Let me know if it helps.