Previous topicNext topic

ISF conversion to GLSL?

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
Fractal Grinder

ISF conversion to GLSL?

Post by Fractal Grinder »

Would it be possible to convert an ISF effect to GLSL? I would love to use some of my ISF collection in TouchDesigner, but currently it looks like Touch only supports GLSL
Magic
Site Admin

Re: ISF conversion to GLSL?

Post by Magic »

ISF is GLSL. But it also has a JSON header (JavaScript Object Notation) which describes how the GLSL works. In order to reduce ISF to pure GLSL, you'd have to replace all the code that is controlled by the header. It would require some programming knowledge.

Then, once you have pure GLSL, you'd have to figure out how to get it to work in TouchDesigner. I have no idea about that :)
Fractal Grinder

Post by Fractal Grinder »

Thanks for that explaination! I'm pretty sure that TouchDesigner has native GLSL support, I dont really know and havent really messed with the GLSL in it that much because I use ISF effects far more then GLSL shaders. But thanks I'm going to look into this more.. The coding language that I would need to know about in this case is OpenGL right?
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

GLSL itself is the language. It stands for Graphics Library Shading Language :)
artnik

Post by artnik »

ISF is pretty easy to pick up. Essentially, what you are going to want to do is remove the JSON header and for every variable referenced there, manually set a value in the GLSL code.

I was able to pick up enough knowledge from scratch in only a few days to make fairly substantial edits, and this should be straightforward.

One thing to keep in mind is that a lot of ISF shaders begin their life on http://Shadertoy.com, or similar sites. Check the source code because the original shaders may be referenced there, and it will be easier for you to get them from the original source, ready to go.

Cheers!