Previous topicNext topic

INTERACTIVESHADERFORMAT.COM is fixed

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
artnik

INTERACTIVESHADERFORMAT.COM is fixed

Post by artnik »

The ISF site seems to have updated (the editor looks different). Does anyone know what's up with that? Or how to contact the site owners?

A LOT of the ISF's are broken now, showing a black screen without throwing any errors in the editor. Also, some throw a warning about being V1 shaders, and letting you upgrade to V2.

Cheers!
Sadler

Re: INTERACTIVESHADERFORMAT.COM

Post by Sadler »

Here's a link to the about page that describes V2:
https://www.interactiveshaderformat.com/about

No contact details tho.

I guess we'll just have to wait while things settle down and some of the non-working shaders get fixed.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Yeah, I remember hearing a couple months ago that they were working on v2. But it sounds like they decided to not make it backwards compatible, which is a real shame.

One place to complain about it might be the VDMX forums, since it's really their format, although I'm not sure if they are in charge of interactiveshaderformat.com.
artnik

Post by artnik »

I agree on the folly. That's one of the best ways to kill a "standard".

Looking at the V2 changes, I'd say they likely are in charge of it. One of the big changes with V2 was to change the "vv_" prefix to "isf_" in commands, with the reason that ISF is an open standard and it wasn't appropriate.
artnik

Post by artnik »

I've been in contact with the developers at Vidvox. They are having an internal discussion about the best path forward, whether to automatically upgrade all the shaders to V2 or not.

For the time being, they have enabled full backwards compatibility, so all the ISF modules on the site should be working now. I've gone in and tested some of the ports I worked on that were broken, and they are working again. :-)

Cheers!
Magic
Site Admin

Re: INTERACTIVESHADERFORMAT.COM is fixed

Post by Magic »

Cool, thanks! I hope they don't decide to upgrade all the shaders though, because then they won't be usable in Magic (at least until Magic catches up). Can you put in a good word for all the Magic users? :)
artnik

Post by artnik »

Eric wrote:Cool, thanks! I hope they don't decide to upgrade all the shaders though, because then they won't be usable in Magic (at least until Magic catches up). Can you put in a good word for all the Magic users? :)
Done.
-------------------------------
Good morning David,

I was talking over the V2 ISF issue with the developer of Magic (https://magicmusicvisuals.com) this morning. He's asked me to put in a word for the user base.

Automatically updating all of the ISF shaders to V2 will break their use in Magic... at least until the developer can catch up.

I can assure you that the majority of Magic users are heavily invested in the ISF format. The fact that you have made it an open standard is a generous and praiseworthy act, not only because it opens up an elegant and powerful option for the industry as a whole – at all affordable entry points – but because it exposes the technical underpinnings of realtime graphics as a teaching tool. I suspect many artists are cutting their teeth with this technology, many of whom will certainly go on to become Vidvox customers.

I know, personally, that the ISF format has enabled me to easily transfer many years of graphic editing and design expertise into a new realtime skill set. Without your generosity, it would be much, much harder for artists, such as myself, to enter into this field. The simplicity of the standard, (and, obviously, https://Interactiveshaderformat.com) is a fantastic entry point to help designers learn GLSL coding. I hope it continues to find broader support with the new update.

Thanks again!

Cheers,
nik
blackdot

Post by blackdot »

wow thanks for the effort :D
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Yes, very wow and thanks! :)
Terry Payman

Post by Terry Payman »

I'm wowed too!

Very well stated.

Many thanks artnik! :D
matthewjumps

Post by matthewjumps »

Whats the status of this?

Im trying to use some of the ISFs from interactiveshaderformat.com and they are showing a black screen in Magic Music Visuals main window... how do I get them working?
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Some of the ISF v2 shaders might not function properly in Magic because it doesn't yet support ISF v2. We're working on it :)
matthewjumps

Post by matthewjumps »

Oh ok sweet, yea I noticed if I got some of the V1 older ISFs it worked fine
artnik

Post by artnik »

Check out the new spec and make the edits to deprecate the shader you're interested in.

I've noticed that there's really only minor adjustments to the header, and changing "vv_" prefixes on some commands to "isf_"

Lastly, another thing that many V2 shaders don't do is add the ".0" onto default values for variables in the header that are floats. It needs that for V1 compatibility.

I've spent some time porting shaders across to there using the Shadertoy-to-ISF script here, and adding controls to others (+ versions). I'm happy to take a look at any that are giving you grief and seeing if I can help.

Cheers,
nik
damstraversaz

Post by damstraversaz »

Hi Nick,
may I ask you an advice ? I'm just discover the feedback mosh isf ( https://www.interactiveshaderformat.com/sketches/1356 but can't get it to work with magic with my 3 computers . I suppose this is related to the V2 shaders, but I'm not sure, as it seems to be created some time ago. I'm linking it to 2 inputs , one for motion and one for source.
Btw, your work is really amazing, refractor and some others are really incredible !
artnik

Post by artnik »

Just to be clear: all credit for any shaders I've uploaded has to go solely to the original authours. I'm just doing some basic porting to tweak the interface, (with the occasional hack). Check the code for the credits. :-)

Allmost everything is originally from https://Shadertoy.com, and the initial porting is done with the Shadertoy-to-ISF script found here: https://magicmusicvisuals.com/utils/sha ... to_isf.php. From there on, its not too hard to pick enough up to amend the interface code, by adding variables once you figure out how the shader works.

Feedback Mosh seems to be working fine for me in 1.65. But the version I'm using is old. One of the variables isn't named the same. I've uploaded the code that I have here: https://www.interactiveshaderformat.com/sketches/1573

Are you sure you've installed both the .FS and the .VS file for that ISF?
damstraversaz

Post by damstraversaz »

thanks , yes I have installed both the .FS and the .VS file. The last feedback mosh versions from the site does not works for me. I 'm not able to try your uploaded version, the link seems to be wrong : https://www.interactiveshaderformat.com/sketches/1573. Interactivesshaderformat give me the " The page you were looking for doesn't exist, You may have mistyped the address or the page may have moved." message.
thanks a lot for the informations about the credits, I have read this and my message was not clear :)
artnik

Post by artnik »

Try the link now. The private flag was set.

My bad.

Cheers!
damstraversaz

Post by damstraversaz »

just try it now and it works perfectly with magic 1.65 and 2.0 . Thanks a lot for your help !
artnik

Post by artnik »

You're welcome. :-)