Previous topicNext topic

Odd behaviour with FFGL plugin

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
Terry Payman

Odd behaviour with FFGL plugin

Post by Terry Payman »

Not Magic's problem, but I thought it might be of interest as the attached project's behavior is so odd if the Resolume DropShadow module is enabled and the first scene's output is passed through a Resolution module in the second scene.

https://resolume.com/software/tools

With Magic set to Custom Resolution, eg 1920 x 1080, and the second scene selected, the aspect ratio of scene elements changes as the Magic Window's aspect ratio is changed. Perhaps there's some issue here.
Expected.jpg
Expected.jpg (11.34 KiB) Viewed 5680 times
Odd aspect ratios.magic
(2.05 KiB) Downloaded 373 times
Attachments
Odd.jpg
Odd.jpg (11.26 KiB) Viewed 5680 times
Magic
Site Admin

Re: Odd behaviour with FFGL plugin

Post by Magic »

I'll have a look. But I know from experience that a lot of FFGL plugins don't handle aspect ratios properly. Usually it's just an oversight of the developers.
Sadler

Post by Sadler »

It happens with a few FFGLs but not all (Sparkles, Lines and others). Never noticed this myself having not used Resolution module very much.
Terry Payman

Post by Terry Payman »

This one was extra-weird. Just having the plugin connected to the same Magic scene output was enough. I Even had one object getting wider, two narrower ( with an earlier version of the project. VideoFile widened, polygons got narrower. All I wanted was a dropshadow on some text!
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

A drop shadow is just a blurred copy of the image, colored black, and translated a little bit. If you want to keep the transparency of the shadow, all you really need is a blur effect that preserves the alpha channel. ISF Soft Blur does. Or you can use a Resolution module as a cheaper alternative:
CheapDropShadow.jpg
CheapDropShadow.jpg (70.13 KiB) Viewed 5647 times
Or, depending on what you're after, you might not even want the blur, so you could get rid of the Resolution module entirely. And you could turn the ColorRGB's alpha down for a lighter shadow.
Terry Payman

Post by Terry Payman »

Thanks Eric, those are useful alternatives - especially the application of the resolution module.