Previous topicNext topic

File Playback Not Working

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
Bill Kaloudis

File Playback Not Working

Post by Bill Kaloudis »

Hi,
Adding a file, the playback button isn't working, there is no sound. I have searched online and read the manual with no luck. I have tried switching system output source as well, no difference. I would really appreciate some help please.
My system info;
Computer: Mac mini Catalina 10.15.5 (19F101)
Sound Card: Presonus Quantum

If there is anything else I need to provide please let me know.

Thanks,
Bill.
Magic
Site Admin

Re: File Playback Not Working

Post by Magic »

Look at https://magicmusicvisuals.com/downloads ... udioIssues.

Also try an audio file in a different format to make sure it isn't your file.
Bill Kaloudis

Post by Bill Kaloudis »

Thanks for getting back to me Eric, The file is OK.
I did see that and finally worked out that I have to turn off my interface and use my computer 'speakers' for it to work. I understand that this isn't a huge deal but it's quite inconvenient and if I had known beforehand I most likely would not have bought the software, just doesn't seem right. Having said that, it is fun to use and seems quite intuitive but I would hope that a future update could fix this issue?
Thanks,
Bill.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Well, honestly I have a hard time believing that you can't use your interface at all. Especially if you close the audio input device to eliminate conflicts as described in the User's Guide, Magic should be able to use your interface for audio output. I would suggest playing with the settings of your interface and making sure it's running at 44.1 or 48 as opposed to 192 or something like that. Have a look at the Audio MIDI Setup utility.

Basically, if you can get the built-in speakers to work, then you can duplicate their settings in your interface, and you should be good to go.
Naesthetics

Post by Naesthetics »

Hi, Eric

I just upgraded my OS from High Sierra to Catalina 10.15.5 today. I have a 2018 MacPro.

I am experiencing the same issue as OP. However, before upgrading my OS, I was able to use my USB interface with magic. Now, after Catalina installed, I'm testing to see if everything works, and in Magic, I can bring up the magic project file and everything looks fine until I click play. Nothing happens. It doesn't even start the timer.

So at this point, I close magic, go into System preferences, then to Sound settings, then I click Line-in, and restart Magic. The music plays as it should.

Then I close magic, go back into system preferences, change from line-in back to my usb interface and restart the magic file and the music won't play.

Please advise

Eric wrote:Well, honestly I have a hard time believing that you can't use your interface at all. Especially if you close the audio input device to eliminate conflicts as described in the User's Guide, Magic should be able to use your interface for audio output. I would suggest playing with the settings of your interface and making sure it's running at 44.1 or 48 as opposed to 192 or something like that. Have a look at the Audio MIDI Setup utility.

Basically, if you can get the built-in speakers to work, then you can duplicate their settings in your interface, and you should be good to go.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

And did you follow my directions regarding the Audio MIDI Setup?
Naesthetics

Post by Naesthetics »

Yes, I copied all the same settings from the line out to the USB interface audio settings and while the speaker test worked, when I opened up magic it wouldn't play.

After that, I created an aggregate device, and the speaker test worked again. I could hear white noise from both sides. But upon opening Magic, it's like the play button is offline whether I have the USB interface selected or the aggregate service selected.

Not sure what I am missing here.

Eric wrote:And did you follow my directions regarding the Audio MIDI Setup?
Naesthetics

Post by Naesthetics »

Attached is screen caps of my settings. Hoping this will assist.

Thanks for your help! (I'm in the middle of a big project right now)
Attachments
showing usb notepad settings
showing usb notepad settings
Screen Shot USB-NOTEPAD.jpg (656.29 KiB) Viewed 6582 times
Showing Line out settings
Showing Line out settings
Screen Shot LINEOUT.jpg (681.37 KiB) Viewed 6582 times
Naesthetics

Post by Naesthetics »

Last follow up. ****FIXED****

This morning I decided to try again, and when I opened Magic, the play button still wouldn't play as it should.

Then I decided to see what else I could try that I hadn't yet, and so I went to the options in the input sources (within magic) and checked the (close audio input device) and then I reselected my USB interface it in the drop down (input sources list) and lo and behold, now it plays like it should.

Hope this helps others.

Glad it's working now, I just love this software!

-Peace
onalapo

Post by onalapo »

I've tried what you described to no avail. I have uninstalled and re-installed and tried every setting adjustment and still get no audio playback. When I had the free demo, it worked just fine, now that I bought the full version it does not work.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

There is no difference in audio playback between the demo and the full version.

You probably just changed some setting incorrectly.

The first thing to always try is Help > Reset All Settings. Uninstalling/reinstalling does not reset the settings.
onalapo

Post by onalapo »

Yes, I have reset the settings, it was one of the first things I tried. I must add that I still have the demo installed and it works just fine, so though you may think it is an error of mine, I must disagree as I have no problem working the demo. I must add that there is a significant difference during the start-up between the demo, and the full version that I have. I notice that the full version is not taking the same amount of time to configure the audio as I observe the progress bar during start-up. It is taking a fraction of a second compared to the demo version, where the configure audio takes up the most time to complete, at least a full second or more. That is what led me to un-install and re-install thinking there was an error during installation, however that did not resolve the issue. I must also add that it does not appear to be just an audio problem. When I load an audio file, it shows as loaded, however when I press play, there is no action at all, no motion in the player or time code, it is as though there is no audio file loaded, or the player isn't working correctly. The play button shows as activated but there is no motion at all. So it isn't as though the player is playing my audio file and I can't figure out how to hear it. The player isn't playing anything at all no matter the file I select and the files I'm referring to work fine in the demo.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

So just to clarify:

If you run the demo, add an audio file, and press play, it works properly?

And if you then exit the demo, run the full version, add an audio file, and press play, it doesn't work?
onalapo

Post by onalapo »

Yes that is correct.
onalapo

Post by onalapo »

I finally managed to get it functioning however, I cannot use my interface. I must change my computer settings to the computer speakers for the input and output. Why would the demo version function normally with the interface but not the full version? Perplexing to say the least. A pain in the butt, had I known this I may not have purchased the full version. Perhaps an upgrade in the future? I have tried to reset all of my interface settings to no avail.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

If the demo functions normally then I'll investigate it as a bug and fix it for the next version if possible.

A couple questions:

- What is your audio interface?
- Can you please try selecting "Close Audio Input Device" in the Input Sources drop-down menu, and then see if the file playback works?
onalapo

Post by onalapo »

Ok, it is a Tascam US-144mkII. Yes I have tried closing the audio input device, that did not work either.
Akiru

Post by Akiru »

FWIW I (as an extremely new user, just purchased) I have similar issues running on MacOS Catalina (10.15.7) on a 2018 Mac Mini 6-core 32GB.

When attempting to play an audio file, it would appear to load OK, but pressing Play in the Input Sources window simply greyed out the Play button but did not play nor start the play timer.

I have two audio devices recognized by Magic (RME Fireface UFX II and a CalDigit hub). I have found that changing the Input Source (top pull-down in the Input Sources window) from the RME to the CalDigit and then back to the RME, playback from a file starts working.

On restarting the program and loading the same project, or if just loading a new project (e.g., the sample projects), I again need to do this source toggle trick to get it to play a file.

I had the same issue with the Magic Demo as with the full program.