Previous topicNext topic

Problems with multi-channel audio files

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
remst8

Problems with multi-channel audio files

Post by remst8 »

I am interested in making videos for multi-channel (quad & 5.1 surround) music, and Magic looks extremely promising! But I'm having some problems with the Magic Demo.

I can load a multi-channel audio file and Magic allows me to select each channel as a source. However, Magic will only play the first two channels correctly--even when a multi-channel audio interface is selected as my system's default audio output device. Every channel after the first 2 is either silent or full-scale clipping (ouch!).

If I select the audio interface's output channels as Magic's sources and play the audio through the interface, Magic correctly processes all channels. This is true for both physical audio interface (iConnectivity PlayAUDIO12) and virtual device (Rogue Amoeba Loopback).

Is this a limitation of the Magic Demo? Or is this a bug?

System configuration:
  • Magic Demo v2.22 64-bit
  • 15" 2018 MacBook Pro
  • 2.9 GHz Intel Core i9; 32GB RAM
  • Radeon Pro 560X 4 GB; Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB
  • macOS Mojave v10.14.6
Magic
Site Admin

Re: Problems with multi-channel audio files

Post by Magic »

Yes, even though Magic can use multichannel audio files as input, it can't play them back in multichannel. The workaround you discovered is the best solution for now.

In a future version of Magic we will support playback in multichannel, but I can't say exactly when that will happen.
remst8

Post by remst8 »

Okay, thanks!

So, it looks like my workflow would be:
  • Split multi-channel audio file into separate stereo files.
  • Set up Sources to use channels 0 & 1 from each separated stereo file.
  • Export movie.
  • Replace movie's audio with original multi-channel audio.
I can work with that. 8-)
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Yes that sounds fine. You can do mono files if you want though; they don’t have to be stereo.

Also, when you replace the movie’s audio with the original, try to do it without re-encoding the video. It will be faster and better quality. You can use ffmpeg, if you are familiar with it.
remst8

Post by remst8 »

Yes, I tried a mono file and it worked great. For my purposes, I will probably experiment with loading up the stems for even finer control of the scene.

I recently learned of the audio pass-through feature of ffmpeg (ala Handbrake)--great tip! I will likely use Logic Pro to re-integrate the multi-channel audio, though.

Thanks for your help and feedback!
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

No problem. I hope to see some of your videos.