Previous topicNext topic

Midi Piano Concerns

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
michaeltr

Midi Piano Concerns

Post by michaeltr »

I'm still trying to get the hang of magic. So any assistance/advice is appreciated. On my mac, I opened the MidiPiano sample project and uploaded a midi file to the project and connected it as the source, however, whenever I play the video, none of the notes are registered by the piano animation. The midi file was generated by Logic Pro X. I checked to made sure that the input was on channel 1. A few weird things I noticed was that the keyboard would completey light up around the minute mark for a little while and would then stop for the remainder of time. Another strange thing was that the video calculated time was over 3 minutes, even though the midi file should play for a minute and a half.
skarabee

Re: Midi Piano Concerns

Post by skarabee »

You may try to load your midifile in another DAW or midi player to see if it's valid.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Yes, that's what I'd do. Make sure you see or hear notes on the channel you're using (usually channel 1).
michaeltr

Post by michaeltr »

Eric wrote:Yes, that's what I'd do. Make sure you see or hear notes on the channel you're using (usually channel 1).
Thanks for your response, Eric. I tried that and I couldn't detect anything invalid with the midi file I was using. I opened it up in Finale and nothing seemed incorrect. I figured if something was wrong with the midi file I was using, the Bach midi example that was provided within the sample projects folder should work without fail. However, testing Bach midi example, I still noticed the same issue that I have been experiencing. So I'm scratching my head. Another user in this earlier post https://magicmusicvisuals.com/forums/vi ... 9371#p9371 experienced the same issue that I am experiencing by looks of it. I also noticed that he was on a Mac too. I don't know if this helps, but the midi output device is greyed out. However, I don't think that would matter if my only goal is for the keys to be registered piano graphic.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Maybe you can post a link for me to download the midi file so I can test it?
michaeltr

Post by michaeltr »

Eric wrote:Maybe you can post a link for me to download the midi file so I can test it?
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1KXBBD ... RxVof-3msL
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Ok I see what's happening. You must not have any active MIDI input devices on your system. So when you load a MIDI project, it can't find a default MIDI device, and the project doesn't get set up correctly because it thinks you want to use an audio device instead.

An easy fix for this is to run the application on your system called "Audio MIDI Setup", then double-click on "IAC Driver", and then enable the box that says "Device is online". This will create a default MIDI device for your system.

Now when you load a MIDI project in Magic, it will assign the above device, and then you can just swap it to a midi file you import.
michaeltr

Post by michaeltr »

Thank you, Eric! That worked. I appreciate your assistance!
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Hello,

I think I have a quite similar problem. I have uploaded a midi File in the piano File (Midi File set to channel 1 - have double checked this point).
Unfortunately, as you can see in the screenshot below, if I but the play button all of the notes will be played together (same happened for the straight non-cycle piano).
If I upload the same midi File in the Bach midi Template every single Note has its own height, so in this case it is working.

I want to buy the perform Version but in advance I just want to check how it is working. At the moment I am a little bit confused. Maybe I have done some stupid mistake...
Any help would be appreciated.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Not sure I understand, but did you read my solution in the post above?
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

I am sorry, I just noticed that I do not have send the photo, please find link below.

Yes I have read your explanation, but in fact my own midi files are detected by magic visuals. For example - when I upload it in the Bach midi Template it even works in a proper way (each midi pitch has a own place).
But when I upload the same midi file in the "midi piano template" then, although the midi is detected, all of the piano Keys will be played together (same issue than for forum topic "Re: counter in seconds / Bach TemPlate")

I also have checked the Audio-Midi-Setup (see picture link below), but as the midi is detected by Magic Visuals I think that it should be ok.

https://ibb.co/VjrnxMY

https://ibb.co/dkbxC1h
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

It doesn't matter whether your MIDI files are detected. As I said, you need to have at least one physical or virtual MIDI device on your system. If the drop-down box in Magic displays no MIDI devices (see https://magicmusicvisuals.com/downloads ... #MIDIInput), then you will have the problem. But it is easily solved by following my directions above.

The photo you posted of the Audio MIDI Setup utility is the audio setup window, not the MIDI setup window.
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Thanks for your fast reply - I appreciate it very much.

As you already can see in the first photo from my last post there is a midi device listed in the Magic Input sources display. Further the midi is recognized correctly by the Bach midi Template (different colors and positions for different midi notes). For the Piano midi Template the Midi is recognized but all of the keys are played together (first photo of my last post).

Unfortunately I do not find the box "Device is online" in the midi conf box but I send you a photo from the whole box.

https://ibb.co/BT8zfRm

https://ibb.co/k36FDPy
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

As you already can see in the first photo from my last post there is a midi device listed in the Magic Input sources display.
That is not a MIDI device, it is a MIDI file. You need a device. A device is (usually) hardware; or (virtually) software, like an emulator, which is what the IAC is.
Unfortunately I do not find the box "Device is online" in the midi conf box but I send you a photo from the whole box.
I don't read or speak German, but according to Google Translate, "gerät ist bereit" means "device is ready".
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Thanks a lot! It is working now.

I will now buy the Performer Version because everything worked fine.

Thanks again.