Previous topicNext topic

Export render speeds(updated)

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
PoohBear

Export render speeds(updated)

Post by PoohBear »

I have just accepted the render speed of Magic however last night and again today it decided to use all of my cores for rendering an export, so it meant a normal render of about an hour was down to 4 minutes!!!

I just exported a movie using x264 quality 7, it used all my cores, I changed to quality 6 (in the same session and straight after that first export) and it render just using one core, changed it back to quality 7 and again just one core..

Am I missing something, how can I get Magic to render using all my cores all the time?

Thanks
PoohBear
Magic
Site Admin

Re: Export render speeds

Post by Magic »

The number of cores is not a setting you can change. It's also not something an application has full control over.
PoohBear

Post by PoohBear »

Very weird.. I've also had it today where it has exported fast then the next export (not even leaving the export screen or make any changes) it's slow.

The difference between the fast and slow is the number of CPU cores it uses...

Any other ideas to check on?

Cheers
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Maybe it's changing based on the changes you make in your project. Not sure.

Also affecting the cores can be any other applications that are running.
PoohBear

Post by PoohBear »

This is a core issue rather than a direct speed issue.

So I just sat there and clicked on "Go" and when it only one core was running I stopped it and clicked "Go" again, took about 10 tries then all cores kicked in, straight way another "Stop" and "Go" and back to 1 core but this time all cores kicked in after 3 attempts.

I'm sure I accepted rendering on one core as this was the way it worked on my Laptop (high end spec at the time i7 3Ghz), can't test due to licensing.

The main thing I was checking here was I had not missed a setting etc which you have answered.

I'll investigate more and if I find an answer I will report it back.

Regards
PoohBear.

Last video I worked on with Magic..
PoohBear

Post by PoohBear »

I have it now so it renders fast most of the time by turning off "Load all scenes into graphics memory".

After more testing I think I have tracked it down if I have a scene displayed (talking about the edit screen) that is taking most of the processing power (even if the the scene is not in the playlist) the export is really slow, once it has been slow it is slow most of the time, if I open another project (NOT closing Magic down) then reopen that project, select a fairly empty scene (not much processing power) the export is fast, if I then select a busy scene the export goes slow...

So that is saying to me that the scene in the background is still be processed at the same time the export is running (even if that scene is not going to be exported).

After even more testing, I have this other project that will export fast, if I stop it, I notice that the GPU is still quite high 50% utilization, even if I have an empty scene in the background, after that the export is slow all the time, just like before I have to load another project then reload this one again to get a fast export..

So it seems like I have 2 different things going on, 1st one being if I have a busy screen then export, 2nd one being the Graphics card is not being released correctly
Magic
Site Admin

Re: Export render speeds(updated)

Post by Magic »

The graphics card is automatically cleared before the export begins. Make sure you're updated to the latest version of Magic.
PoohBear

Re: Export render speeds(updated)

Post by PoohBear »

The version I'm currently on is Magic Performer v2.22 64-bit which I believe is the latest version unless you have another version I can test :)