Previous topicNext topic

MIDI Input Selection

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
grenno

MIDI Input Selection

Post by grenno »

Hey, is there any way to choose an input depending on the note pressed on a MIDI controller?

For example, I have 5 backgrounds and I'd like to select a background by using a pad controller for example

Note V. #1 - Input 1, Note V. #2 - Input 2, Note V. #3 - Input 3 etc.

I can't seem to find an easy way of doing this. I've tried playing around with transparencies etc but can't figure out a way!
Magic
Site Admin

Re: MIDI Input Selection

Post by Magic »

I guess the easiest way would be to just use the Playlist.

The next easiest way would be to use an InputSelector module with the Note Number feature. If you scale the Note Number by 127 you will get a perfect integer mapping to the Input # param. If your MIDI pads don't have sequential note numbers and/or you can't remap them to start at note number 0, you can always use the Expression modifier to do a more advanced mapping. Something like "if note number is 23, select input 0; else if note number is 46, select input 1; etc."
grenno

Post by grenno »

Perfect!! I wasn't aware of the note selector feature. Thank you!
grenno

Post by grenno »

I have another question now,

I'm using the note selector as instructed

If I set the notes within my midi mapper to go consecutively, I'd like to use 0-15 for one input selector and 16+ for a second input selector.

How do I get the first input selector to ignore any note value above 15 and vice versa?

I've tried using Clamp but I'd like to retain the previous value if possible

For example,:

I press note 12 and so input selector #1 goes to 12.

I then press note 19 and input selector #1 stays at 12 and input selector #2 changes instead

I've also played with storing the previous value to a global parameter but I'm not actually sure if that's possible. If it is, I don't know how to do it!
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Why do you need two different InputSelectors? Just have one that responds to all the notes, 0 to 16+ or whatever.

Or if you don't like that, the next best way would be to use different MIDI channels on your controller. Then you create a new Input Source for each channel. You won't need to worry about filtering or anything like that. It's kinda what MIDI channels are for.
grenno

Post by grenno »

I have one input selector for selecting a background and the other for selecting foreground/text.

Assigning different MIDI channels to each pad bank has done the trick though! Thanks again for you help!