Previous topicNext topic

Playback of exported movies

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
Novice

Playback of exported movies

Post by Novice »

Hello and apologies if this is a basic question. I tried the trial version of Magic and exported a file in OpenH264 Codec.MP4 but I could not get it to play in VLC, Quicktime or Vegas as the file format was not recognised. I presumed that this might have been some sort of locked feature so today I purchased a full copy and exported a 1920 x 1080 (60fps) in the same format and again nothing will read/play the file. I have now exported the same file in Apple ProRes 422 HQ .mov and still nothing will read it I am obviously doing something wrong here and it is probably a basic error. Also the x264 codec .mp4 and x264422 codec .mp4 are greyed out so they are not even an option. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Magic
Site Admin

Re: Playback of exported movies

Post by Magic »

I've never encountered a situation where the default export settings don't create a playable movie. Do you actually get an error when you try to play it, or does it just look blank?
Novice

Post by Novice »

Hello Eric, It is only several minutes long but has come out as a 2.67gb .mp4 file and will not open on anything, I have tried to export 3 different projects now including the first one in the demo version and none of them will open or play. I even tried changing the extension of the first one to .mov but nothing.

Maybe it is something to do with the fact that on all three different projects I have used a video file in the media module, I have taken a photograph of the current project and and tried to attach via the media button but all I get is the media html? tags. It would seem that the [img] is off and I cannot see how to attach a copy for you to see. Sorry if this is all sounding a bit thick but I have been using programs and PCs for 40 years and I do know my way around many quirky bits of software but I am stuck on this!! Thanks.

Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Have you tried with a very simple project? Like just a Starfield and nothing else?

What I would suggest is:
- go into Magic’s Help menu and reset all settings
- in a blank project, add Starfield
- export movie with default settings (don’t change anything; just enter your filename)

Does that work for you?
Novice

Post by Novice »

OK that works! Could it be something to do with the video file that I am adding? I will try coming at it from the other angle and build up a scene piece by piece, and exporting the videos along the way and see what happens.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Not sure, but let me know what you find.

Keep in mind that older OS's do have file size limitations.
Novice

Post by Novice »

Will do, I shall be playing around with it a bit later tonight, I like the look of the incredible possibilities of the program by the way and can't wait to get something concrete produced!