Previous topicNext topic

Media Files will not play after loading

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
HereOnMars

Media Files will not play after loading

Post by HereOnMars »

Hi everyone,

I really liked the look of Magic, so I downloaded the demo, inserted a waveform module and imported one of my songs in an mp3 file. If I export, I get a movie file with a cool waveform going to the music. However, clicking the play button on the inputs window does nothing. No sound, no movement on the progress bar. I've tried mp3 and flac files. The inputs on my interface work fine (talking into a mic, etc), but audio files will not play from the input window.

I've seen other posts on this but no real answer. Any help on this would be appreciated. If I can't fix this, I can't really use the software that well, so it's kinda critical to me. Appreciate your assistance!

Randy
Magic
Site Admin

Re: Media Files will not play after loading

Post by Magic »

What audio output device are you using?
HereOnMars

Post by HereOnMars »

Hi, I'm using a Behringer XR18. I tried just switching it to my onboard audio and it does the same thing.

By the way, I'm running it on MacOS.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Audio playback uses whatever device is selected in System Preferences. I'm not familiar with that Behringer but I can tell you for 100% sure that Magic will work just fine with your onboard audio. If it doesn't, you probably just haven't configured something right.
HereOnMars

Post by HereOnMars »

I'm sure it does; the weird thing is that the timeline of the track doesn't start moving. I will make a video later tonight recording it and share.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Did you try setting your System Preferences to use your onboard audio?

Also what kind of Mac do you have?
HereOnMars

Post by HereOnMars »

I made a video here: https://youtu.be/EwU-eBpD9A0

If you mean when I tried to use it through my onboard audio, did I switch it in my system preferences- yes. I changed my outputs/inputs to the onboard vs the XR18. In this video I'm using the XR18 to demonstrate it picks up my mic signal through the XR18. I would think that since I loaded the file, and I click the play button and nothing happens, that it would be something with the software.

edit: I have a 2017 Macbook Pro.

Thanks again- any help is appreciated.
Randy
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Sorry, I’m not understanding what you said. When you set your System Preferences to use your onboard audio as your output, does the playback work in Magic or not?
HereOnMars

Post by HereOnMars »

hi, I went in with my interface totally off, system audio in my mac set to the onboard mic and speakers. When I load the song, it will play from the input window which is great! I can work that way.

Magic does recognize my input from my hardware interface as it picks up the mic, but it's almost as if it doesn't recognize that it has an OUTPUT it can play the audio file through when my mac's system audio output is set to be my interface. Is there a place to specify the output in magic?

I can work like this just fine, but am just not able to play the audio through my studio hardware.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Not sure. A couple things you can try:

- Start Magic, and then in the Input Sources window's drop-down menu, try selecting Close Audio Input Device. Then try loading and playing an audio file. Sometimes not running the input and output at the same time can solve the problem.

- In your audio device settings, try using a "normal" sample rate like 44100 or 48000 as opposed to something like 192000.
skarabee

Post by skarabee »

I may be wrong, but I'm actually ready to buy a X18, (not the XR rack, but the flat Ipad dock version), and from whant I've read, outputs must be set using the grid of the X AIR EDIT software.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbrxvIzi9Fs
Hope this can help.