Previous topicNext topic

Iterator Experiment Demo Thread

Live performances or exported movies created with Magic.
Sadler

Iterator Experiment Demo Thread

Post by Sadler »

There is so much potential in the Iterator that I thought it worthy of its own thread. Please post your exported experiments or ideas here. To start things off, here's one of my experiments...

Side note: The latest version of Resolume now includes the radial and linear cloner from Hive8 (which is great) but it doesn't compete with the Iterator.
Magic
Site Admin

Re: Iterator Experiment Demo Thread

Post by Magic »

Here's my video contribution. It's not really an experiment because the scene is included with the application (in the MIDIPiano.magic sample project), but since I created it, I get to post it here ;).

damstraversaz

Post by damstraversaz »

this is really an incredible software. :shock:
Sadler

Post by Sadler »

All done with one text module and one iterator and a few transforms.

Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Really nice stuff there Sadler.
Sadler

Post by Sadler »

Here we have two iterators, one driving the coloured grid with iterator frequency and the other driving randomised digits from a text file. Each iterator has 16*9=144 iterations. I just put the digits and panels together for demo purposes but 288 iterations runs at 60fps.

skarabee

Post by skarabee »

Thank you for this new tool !
Now making midi visuals is more simple for me ;)

2 iterators here (one is derived from the piano demo, for the color )

Sadler

Post by Sadler »

I expected this would make your midi creations much easier - perhaps Eric thought of you when adding the midi connection? I imagine there is still quite a bit of fine-tuned maths getting the instrument arranged so elegantly. Your swirly sphere is also great.
skarabee

Post by skarabee »

I just discovered yesterday that a beat was available with the brand new iterators. And I saw the thread were you started the idea, and was thinking "wow, Eric did it!" so many thanks to both of you , Sadler and Eric! This is the perfect tool for midi/audio visual instruments. The implementation is brilliant and easy to understand. I'm not using a lot of math and expressions, but be sure I will pop up here if i have an idea that I can't compute myself ;)

Because of my simple 3D models, my little creations are a bit old-school , I don't care in the end, this will become "vintage" with the passing years :D
skarabee

Post by skarabee »

short demo with the same music and 2 new instruments
skarabee

Post by skarabee »

Still experimenting with this new toy. One thing I noticed: the offset setting , depending on the tranform/scale/rotate modules you use before, can sometimes be touchy to use. Maybe a setting in the module allowing to choose wich midi note to start with (0-127) could be another way.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Basically it's set up so that the first Iteration # will be the Offset value. So if the Offset is 10, the first Iteration # will be 10. Does that help?
skarabee

Post by skarabee »

I noticed that. The thing is that it can change drastically your graphics when starting to use a greater iteration number as starting point for calculations.
In addition to offset, a midi note number starting point could be used when you want to change octaves without making changes to other previous modules in order to maintain your graphics behavior.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Well, yes, the reason it changes the graphics is because of the math. But it's easy to deal with. For example, in an Expression, you can do [x-10] if the Offset is 10, and then the first Iteration # will be 0 again.
skarabee

Post by skarabee »

Thanks for the tip! I'll use it, because I have 4 keyboards (25k, 37k, 49k and 61k), and not only theydon't have a similar middle C note, but some are used for lower or upper octaves.
skarabee

Post by skarabee »

Sorry, I've tried, but I don't get it to work. Could you please give a simple example?

Nevermind: I found it. I was trying to apply it to midi source/iterator# notes :oops: . Instead, I've put it in the modules parameters that used internal/iteration# as source.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Yes exactly. Just to show an example in case anyone else has the same question:
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (26.1 KiB) Viewed 51441 times
If the Offset parameter in the Iterator module is 3, then you can do an Offset modifier of -3 in your other modules to bring things back to starting at 0.
skarabee

Post by skarabee »

A question for Sadler: how did you do the wavey effect in your text example, please?
skarabee

Post by skarabee »

I found a way to make a waving effect, but using a global and expression. I was able to use it with text splitted in lines and lines set to iteration#.
magic wave.jpg
magic wave.jpg (110.3 KiB) Viewed 51428 times
Sadler

Post by Sadler »

You got it!
Attachments
wavey_text_comp.jpg
wavey_text_comp.jpg (41.5 KiB) Viewed 51418 times
Sadler

Post by Sadler »

This is adapted from Eric's particle example and using an input selector as a source.

Something the starfield cannot do!
skarabee

Post by skarabee »

Nice one!
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Sadler I was just watching your Alice In Wonderland clip again, and something that might make for a more convincing illusion would be to draw the cards in farthest-to-nearest order (using a Z-Translate based on the inverse of the Iteration #) so that the larger (nearest) cards are properly in front of the smaller (farther) ones.

In other words if you have 100 iterations, then you would do a Z-Translate linked to Iteration # with an Expression of 99-x, such that iter# 0 would be 99 units away, and iter# 99 would be 0 units away.

This is of course based on my personal understanding that in the reality of your video clip, the cards are physically the same size, which may or may not be true in Wonderland ;).
Sadler

Post by Sadler »

Cheers Eric! I'll definitely do that - even fantasy worlds have to obey some physical laws. :D

Here's another iterator experiment (that turned into shameless self promotion) that I think came out really well. This time I'm using the iterator frequency to modulate brightness to drive a height field.

Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Looks really great!
damstraversaz

Post by damstraversaz »

that's really great Sadler, congratulations !
skarabee

Post by skarabee »

That's a really cool eye-catching effect, Sadler.
PoohBear

Post by PoohBear »

Sadler wrote:
Excellent stuff, love that....

This is my finished SummerTime iJam uJam We Jam video.

The following parts make use the Iterator
Keyboards keys (they are all 3D objects, Eric you are more than welcome to the code as it's based around your example and nice a tight).
Pads. (Note just one Iterator used per Keyboard for the pads)
Big group of dancers.
I'm new to this stuff but loving every minute of it and the knowledge on this forum is excellent.

Cheers
PoohBear