Previous topicNext topic

Live Band Video plus MMV Projection

Live performances or exported movies created with Magic.
beastraeatsall

Live Band Video plus MMV Projection

Post by beastraeatsall »

Hi everyone,

just wanted to share my latest Magic creation with you (tip – watch in 4k!):

My band Everdeen http://www.everdeenmusic.com just made a live performance video featuring projected visuals made in Magic. I used a lot of video elements like ink drops and smoke with color manipulation in magic. The "snow" is a starfield and there are two spectrums on either side of the frame. The project was controlled by an Ableton Live project sending midi out. We played along to a click and Live triggered certain events in time, such as scene changes, the triangle, and the lyrics in the chorus. At around 0:30 you get a good look at the whole stage. Near the end I used a color invert triggered by midi to create a strobe effect.

Hope you like it and have a good weekend!
Sadler

Re: Live Band Video plus MMV Projection

Post by Sadler »

Your ÚRL redirects to some preacher website. This one goes to the correct place: https://www.everdeenmusic.com/

The blue visuals push the band back and bring the singer forward. I can see a bit of reactivity but the visuals are low key which suits the song.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Very nice, thanks for sharing!
beastraeatsall

Post by beastraeatsall »

Sadler wrote:Your ÚRL redirects to some preacher website. This one goes to the correct place: https://www.everdeenmusic.com/
thanks, whoops, fixed! How embarrassing.
Sadler wrote:The blue visuals push the band back and bring the singer forward. I can see a bit of reactivity but the visuals are low key which suits the song.
There actually isn't much actual reactivity in the visuals besides the spectrums. There's an inkblot in the middle of the picture in some scenes that "blooms" in time with the bass drum and two smoke clouds on left/right that bloom along with the snare, plus a triangle that flashes from left to right on the beat. These are controlled by midi notes being sent from Ableton. Because they filmed several takes from multiple angles the visuals had to be consistent from take to take and that means we couldn't rely on reactivity that could potentially result in inconsistencies. Scenes change with the beat according to parts of the song and certain things move rhythmically but that's all based on measure-for-measure midi sequence coming from Live.

And the singer had a bit of additional spot lighting on her to bring her out :) I like how the visuals look on the drummer with his white shirt. But that was part of the goal, to create more of a "room" or a backdrop for the performance rather than having too many busy elements.
Espen

Post by Espen »

Great performance :P
Sintek

Post by Sintek »

beastraeatsall wrote:
These are controlled by midi notes being sent from Ableton...
You mean empty midi notes? You used the midi network? I'm asking this because I can't make them working... I created a midi channel with say about 4 beats looped an then routed the ouput to my "midi network" then select channel 1 for output and in Magic I created an input source from the network and selected the channel 1 but seems to not work