Previous topicNext topic

Edge blur problem

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
Franco08

Edge blur problem

Post by Franco08 »

Hi guys, do you have any tips to fix the serrated edge?
Immagine.png
Immagine.png (159.71 KiB) Viewed 3735 times
Terry Payman

Re: Edge blur problem

Post by Terry Payman »

The serrations are known as "aliasing".

At the expense of some of your blur, you can add an Antialias module between the Edge Blur module and the Magic Module.
Franco08

Post by Franco08 »

Thank you Terry Payman, I wasn't sure it was aliasing.

I have already tried antialias but it acts invasively on the images contained in it. If there is no other solution, I think it may be necessary to correct the code in the Edge blur module.
artnik

Post by artnik »

No need to update the code. :-) There's almost always a workaround. A lot of ISF's and modules will alias, it's just a fact of life when balancing visual quality over realtime performance. Having said that, sometimes the workarounds are computationally expensive.

It will potentially impact framerate, but you can use a resolution module to render at a higher resolution, effectively oversampling, which will antialias at your final output resolution. It's a good technique to have in your toolbox.

You can also use a combination of two Resolution modules. e.g. If your final output is 1920x1080, do this:

SOURCE > EDGE BLUR > [RESOLUTION @ 3840x2160] > [RESOLUTION @ 1920x1080].

The first Res module oversamples everything to the left of it in the chain, and the second Res module scales it all back down again to the target resolution and anti-aliases it.
Franco08

Post by Franco08 »

Thanks artnik is a good idea even if it negatively affects the frames but if for now it is the only choice, better this than nothing :)