Previous topicNext topic

Crash on first start

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
Timsk

Crash on first start

Post by Timsk »

Hi - new user of Magic having purchased very recently. Unfortunately on startup I am getting the license input dialog, which accepts my license key correctly, but I get no further with an immediate Windows Error dialog stating 'Magic has stopped working'. The software writes a mindump file, in which it looks like I'm getting a memory read error (a null pointer read):

The instruction at "0x%08lx" referenced memory at "0x%08lx". The memory could not be "%s"The instruction at "0x%08lx" referenced memory at "0x%08lx". The memory could not be "%s"

I've tried updating Windows 10 to the October update (which I'd been stalling on applying), and upgrading my graphics driver for the GTX1070 I'm running to Nvidia's latest. That's Windows 10 version 1809, build 17763.292 and Nvidia driver 418.81. I've tried with AV disabled, and after a clean full boot. A DISM check on the Windows image health shows all ok, as does an sfc.

Seeing another forum post recommend clearing the Magic folder in appdata/roaming I've done that to no avail - it's just recreated on startup during which it populates an xml preferences file.

Any pointers would be gratefully received, as I'm out of ideas for now and haven't got into the software at all yet.
Magic
Site Admin

Re: Crash on first start

Post by Magic »

Hmm sorry, that's the first I've heard of such a thing. It looks like your activation isn't working. Please contact us through our contact form (https://magicmusicvisuals.com/contact) and we'll try to get it resolved for you.
Timsk

Re: Crash on first start

Post by Timsk »

Thanks for the lighting fast response. I've made contact as requested. Cheers