Previous topicNext topic

Several features request inc. MIDI, UI, audio, etc

Suggestions for new features for Magic.
Ithrul

Several features request inc. MIDI, UI, audio, etc

Post by Ithrul »

I've recently bought Magic Performer and I have suggestions what could be improved in next versions. I'll write them here, if you'll forward these to right person that would be great, I can write separate message too if you tell where to.

So here it is:

1. Realtime low resolution video export, that way I've coulde save what comes from cameras right away after applying fx, maybe with some antialiasing to hide lq.

2. Some improvement of UI
2.1 instead of using translate and scale it would be great to have ability to change size and position with rotation of elements with transform bounds (like in photoshop) on preview (or some working) screen.
2.2 All preferences in one place.

3. I'm working with audio content with quality above 44.1 kHz, when Magic is launching it switches my audio interface clock to 44.1kHz, I have to switch it back each time, could use it as setting in the project which will be saved with project, also it couldl work for audio export too.

4. MIDI mixer module, which is capable to get multiple MIDI inputs and mix them in one to send further, also could be solved by allowing multiple MIDI sources as inputs. It could contain some params like transpose, finetune etc.
MIDI splitter module, to be able split 16 channels for separate outputs if needed.

5. MIDI media module, same as video and image, could contain some MIDI options, like BPM, channel filter etc.

6. Group zones with labels in scene edit window, so you can drag group of modules or fold them with one click without selecting them again, yeah, it's like adding scene and using it, but it will help organize project also you'll be able to leave a comment which describes what this group of modules do exactly for quickspotting it and you don't have to go to another scene if you need to tweak couple of parameters.

7. Full textures support for 3d models with dynamic bumpmapping, reflection, glossiness etc.

That's all I could remember right now.
Great app! I'll post here couple of my projects for download as soon as I finish 2nd one, it contains around 70 layers, half of which is mapped to midi keyboard. It will contain generalized text and pics for free personal use.
Sadler

Re: Several features request inc. MIDI, UI, audio, etc

Post by Sadler »

1. You could spout out to OBS or a virtual webcam (e.g. ManyCam) or screen capture though I, personally, don't see the point in exporting to lo-res.
2.1 Direct manipulation of elements has already been suggested and, I think, considered, though not high on the agenda.
2.2 A preferences dialogue box is, I would argue, not required (yet) but the menus are bulging with options and a dialogue box may be impossible to avoid.
3. Audio isn't my thing so I'm happy to have Magic as primarily visual. But I do have a preference for sticky options in certain circumstances.
4. If, by mixer you mean driving graphics with multiple midi devices then Magic is quite capable. But midi output? Sounds like you want a DAW.
5. You mean a midi file module to drive other parameters? Again sounds like you want a DAW.
6. In principle I could see this as useful for more complicated scenes but if scenes are too complicated, performance suffers. It's not the same as Blender or Houdini where real-time performance isn't crucial. TouchDesigner is perhaps a better example but I guess you can over-cook even that program.
7. On the list AFAIK.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Yes thanks, some of those things exist already as Sadler said (such as multiple MIDI inputs); some have been discussed here extensively, and are either on my list, or are just not possible or don't make sense; and I guess there are some new things for me to look into (such as the sample rate changing, which isn't supposed to happen).
Ithrul

Post by Ithrul »

Sadler wrote:1. You could spout out to OBS or a virtual webcam (e.g. ManyCam) or screen capture though I, personally, don't see the point in exporting to lo-res..
I want to record specific perfomance with fx for example.
Sadler wrote:2.1 Direct manipulation of elements has already been suggested and, I think, considered, though not high on the agenda.

:cry:
Sadler wrote:2.2 A preferences dialogue box is, I would argue, not required (yet) but the menus are bulging with options and a dialogue box may be impossible to avoid.
There is not such many preferences though, it's more for the future.
Sadler wrote:3. Audio isn't my thing so I'm happy to have Magic as primarily visual. But I do have a preference for sticky options in certain circumstances..
I have external ASIO audio card and I use audio input from it with Magic, after I launch Cubase project (yes, Cubase it's DAW, I know) first it reads sample rate of project and then switches it in ASIO if needed, so clock switched only if project requires it and I can do it from Cubase manually, Magic will switch to 44.1 kHz every time I launch it, despite Magic works fine with 48 and 96 kHz, it looks like I don't have way to use those samples rate by default, also I can't change it from inside app, I have to use my audio interface control panel, a little bit inconvenient, but yeah, I know, may be it's specific for me, as I'm music composer and I have to use external audio with ASIO.
Sadler wrote:4. If, by mixer you mean driving graphics with multiple midi devices then Magic is quite capable. But midi output? Sounds like you want a DAW.
No, I'll be more specific: lets assume you have 2 streams of MIDI data from different sources, mixer how I meant it turns them in one combining all incoming notes. That situation could occur if you have MIDI file and live MIDI input and you want to drive one parameter with both of it, you'll have to sum all incoming data from those somewhere. Creating source with summed data which can be used as any other MIDI source should do the trick or writing notes velocity data to globals I dunno.
I have animated keys in scene as element and here is picture how it is done:
https://imageshack.com/a/img924/6459/BbXtMX.jpg
I'm happy that it wasn't 88 keys keyboard. Here is scene so you'll see what I'm talking about:

If I want to add second MIDI source to visualize keyboard I have to duplicate all transparency modules and choose another source in each one as each one takes specific MIDI note velocity from one specific source. So I think some mechanism which will allow to avoid this and simplifying workflow with MIDI sources would be helpful.
Sadler wrote:5. You mean a midi file module to drive other parameters? Again sounds like you want a DAW.
No, I think if you can add image or video as module with parameters, why MIDI files have different approach?
Sadler wrote:6. In principle I could see this as useful for more complicated scenes but if scenes are too complicated, performance suffers. It's not the same as Blender or Houdini where real-time performance isn't crucial. TouchDesigner is perhaps a better example but I guess you can over-cook even that program.
That grouping in UI wouldn't affect overall perfomance, it will only allow to create more complex projects. Anyway Magic can't capture real-time perfomance and I've exported 3 min 4k 60fps video like about 3 hours, and it wasn't so complex so I can't say Magic works with real-time perfectly.
I'll definitely look into TouchDesigner, it looks promising.
Sadler wrote:7. On the list AFAIK.
Good to know, thank you!