Previous topicNext topic

Video Capture Help

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
hrc333

Video Capture Help

Post by hrc333 »

First, love Magic. Plan to start using the software this summer on the road with a musician I tour with.

The one issue I have is I can't get it to recognize any video devices except my built in webcam. I am using a Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini Recorder HDMI input device. It works great with all the other software I use including MadMapper which I use to do the projection mapping. But with Magic, I can't get it to appear in the Video Capture device list. Interestingly it shows up in the Audio list. I can't seem to find any preference that allows me to configure video capture devices.

Anyone have any experience with Video Capture that is not the built-in camera?

Thanks in advance.
Terry Payman

Re: Video Capture Help

Post by Terry Payman »

Eric is actively working on a version of Magic that will support many more video capture devices, but the behavior you describe is standard for video devices that are not yet supported. They simply don't appear in the list.

Are you on Windows or OS X?
hrc333

Post by hrc333 »

I am on the latest version of OSX. I am just surprised since it appears in the audio section but no the video. I also have had no issues with the blackmagic device showing up in other software. But sounds like it just does not work. Not the end of the world, as I use MadMapper as my final step before the projector and I can use this to layer the live video I need. But I do lose some of the cool effects that magic can do.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

As Terry said, the next release of Magic (coming very soon) will have better capture support :) . But in the meantime you might also want to look at BlackSyphon, which is specifically designed to capture Blackmagic devices and send them via Syphon to Magic or any other Syphon-enabled app. http://vdmx.vidvox.net/blog/black-syphon
hrc333

Post by hrc333 »

Thanks for the tip on the blacksyphon. I will have to set it up tomorrow and see how it works. Only have one more day of testing and then plan to use Magic live for the first time on Friday. Have a workable workflow right now with Magic and MadMapper but would love to have the video feed processed in magic so will check this out. Thanks.
hrc333

Post by hrc333 »

Black syphone works great! Pretty excited and now I just have to rebuild scenes using the input!
mulherje

Post by mulherje »

It looks like you can syphon a video capture card now based on your comment. How were you able to do this? I am currently using Game Capture HD and have not figured out how to run it through magic.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

The Game Capture HD is not a general purpose capture device. It won't work with anything except Elgato's software.