Previous topicNext topic

errors when exporting movies from version 2.2

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
dwheitner

errors when exporting movies from version 2.2

Post by dwheitner »

I'm having a bizarre problem with exporting movies in Magic version 2.2 64-bit, with the x264 addon--but it also happens with the other mp4 formats. These are files I created in v2.13, and then did additional editing on in v.2.2.

With one video, a few png images that I have running through starfield modules flip upside down. They flip right-side up during the transitions between scenes, though. As soon as the transition ends, upside-down again.

With another video, some 3-D models which have colorize turned on and are running through a color module appear black.

Everything looks great in the Magic window while previewing. But upon export, the strange errors suddenly occur.

I've tried the following:
-Deleting and re-adding some of the modules with some of the same settings. (Didn't help.)
-Reinstalling the old version of Magic (v2.13), opening the file in that, and exporting with the only export option available there. (This did work--I'm glad you set it up so that files edited/saved in the new version can still be opened in the old one if needed.)
-Re-saving the file as a new version in the old version of Magic, and then reopening the file in the current version of Magic. (Didn't help.)

While it's good to know I can still open the files in the previous version and export from there if needed, I'd like to be able to export in one of the new formats if possible. I've gotten two other files (also created in the previous version of Magic and edited in the current one) to export properly from v2.2, and appreciate the speed and quality of the new format options.

I'm running Magic on Windows 10 Pro on an Intel I7-3770. Oh, and this happens when exporting to a resolution of 1920x1080, and also 640x360 (which I sometimes do as a quicker "test" before a full-size export).

Thanks for any assistance you can provide!
dwheitner

Re: errors when exporting movies from version 2.2

Post by dwheitner »

An additional observation since I posted: with another file, I've observed the same flipped-upside-down issue with two other types of modules run through a starfield module--the star module, and the video file module. Also in v2.2 of Magic. Again, all looks fine in the Magic preview window until exporting. And things are flipped rightside up temporarily during the transition from one scene to the next. Hope that helps!
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Thanks, I can reproduce the flipping issue with the Starfield and I'll work on fixing it.

I'm not sure about the Model colorize issue though. Can you provide any further details on that?
dwheitner

Post by dwheitner »

Many thanks! Re: the issue with color and 3d models, it's occurring when I feed an .obj 3d model through the colorHSB module, with the color set to modulate (usually with a volume input). In at least some of the cases (I can check later today to see if that's exclusively the case, if needed), the model module is in one scene, and then the scene is input into another scene where it's run through the colorHSB module. Let me know if there are other potentially helpful details I can provide. Edit: To be more specific about color, I mean "hue." The object ends up turning black instead of modulating through all the hues. If needed, I can get some screenshots later today--let me know.)
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Ok, I can't seem to reproduce that. If you could post some screenshots, it would definitely help.
dwheitner

Post by dwheitner »

I misspoke in an earlier email--I'm using a sine function to modulate the color shift, at least in this example. I don't know if the same thing occurs with other ColorHSB modulation sources.

I did a couple low-res exports of about 15 secs to illustrate the issue.

This is the export of part of the 1st scene from Magic v2.2--the double helix 3D model remains black.
https://youtu.be/xC-zYyzacBk

This is the export of part of the 1st scene from Magic v2.13--the double helix changes color.
https://youtu.be/1BkAgnD4UCQ

The screencaptured scene attached below, diag helix, is used as an input for several other scenes. The YouTube video clip samples are of scene intro2, where the input scene diag helix is the only element of the scene.

The same error occurs in later scenes that use diag helix as an input.

The same issue occurs with other 3D models that have modulated ColorHSB, too. Color is fine with 3D models that don't have their color modulated.

During scene transitions, the models' color returns temporarily.
Attachments
screen capture of magic scene to illustrate 3D model ColorHSB shift bug
screen capture of magic scene to illustrate 3D model ColorHSB shift bug
magic2.2bugreportscreencap1.JPG (198.75 KiB) Viewed 4656 times
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

During scene transitions, the models' color returns temporarily.
Ok thanks. This makes me believe it's the same problem as the flipped Starfield images, so I think it will be a reasonably easy thing to fix.
dwheitner

Post by dwheitner »

Ah, that's good to hear. You did make quite a significant improvement with the file exporting in the most recent version, so I look forward to trying it more once this bug is worked out. Please let me know if you need any addt'l info in the meantime. Many thanks!