Previous topicNext topic

How to use an ISF LUT plugin

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
blacksmoke

How to use an ISF LUT plugin

Post by blacksmoke »

Hi guys. I'm Sam, New here. I'd like to use a LUT plugin to change the colors of my media in Magic Music visuals. I've found an ISF plugin and managed to install it but I'm struggling to find out where I should put the LUT files the plugin needs to work properly. Can someone help me? The plugin is the LUT.fs plugin you can find here https://www.interactiveshaderformat.com/sketches/938
Magic
Site Admin

Re: How to use an ISF LUT plugin

Post by Magic »

Generally speaking, any required secondary files should be in the same folder as the .fs file itself.
blacksmoke

Post by blacksmoke »

That's what I thought. But the plugin doesn't work when I do that. Could someone try it and let me know if they manage to make it work?
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

How do you download the .png files from that web page? I couldn't figure it out.
blacksmoke

Post by blacksmoke »

Ok, first it's very nice of you to try to help. From what i understand, you don't need to download the LUTs shown on the right pannel as the page is kind of a showcase of the plugin, these LUTs can be replaced by any LUT you can put your hands on.

On the demo page (the link I provided earlier), on the right side, just click on the + sign in any of the LUTs to replace it with your own LUT (I used some other LUTs I found elsewhere. I used a pack of LUTs I found here https://community.troikatronix.com/asse ... lut_v2.zip and they seem to work with the version on the shader that's on the webpage. I wasn't so lucky when I tried to put them in the plugin folder of MMV. I put the LUTs right beside the plugin and I even tried to rename them with the same name as in the original code (you can review the code on the demo page of the plugin or just open the plugin with a text editor)
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

It seems to work for me. On my computer, the only thing I had to add was a line saying:

Code: Select all

#define LUT_FLIP_Y
...which seemed to be missing.

And then I had to uncomment the places where it says

#ifdef LUT_FLIP_Y
So that it looks like

texPos1.y = 1.0-texPos1.y;

#ifdef LUT_FLIP_Y
    texPos1.y = 1.0-texPos1.y;
#endif
...etc. This flips the image vertically.

Or, another way to do the whole thing (which may or not be easier for you) is to get rid of the IMPORTED images and just use a regular image input, so that you can use Magic's Image module as the second input and therefore specify your image more easily. I.e.,

"INPUTS" : [
    {
      "NAME" : "inputImage",
      "TYPE" : "image"
    },
    {
      "NAME" : "inputImage2",
      "TYPE" : "image"
    },
Might be a bit complicated to change all the code though, not sure.
blacksmoke

Post by blacksmoke »

Thanks a lot man, the first method works. I'd like to try the second one, any advice? If I just change the second input type to image, would it do the trick? Do I have to get rid of other parts of the code?

Meanwhile, I think I'm going to make a tutorial video to use this and create new LUTs, because there are not many ways to color grade in Magic.

Once this plugin is working you only have to take the basic unprocessed LUT (the first in the list) and process it with any treatment you want in photoshop to get a new LUT. I'm gonna try the ones I've found for now and I'll post a few pics here to show the results.

Thanks again!
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

If you got the first one working, it's probably the best solution. The second one is slightly more convenient but a bit more complicated and inefficient.