Previous topicNext topic

One laptop to run Magic and Ableton? Please adivise

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
SoundInsight

One laptop to run Magic and Ableton? Please adivise

Post by SoundInsight »

I’m looking into a new project and wondered if you thought it would be okay to run Magic and Ableton on the same laptop. I would be mostly using real instruments into the loopers of Ableton(acoustic bass, electric bass, TR8, microKORG, 2 mics). I was thinking about running Magic on the SSD drive and Ableton on HDD. I’m sure it’s possible to send audio from Ableton to Magic. Could you help, please? Here’s what the specs of a laptop I was thinking about would be...
Acer 2018 Flagship Acer Nitro 5 15.6 Inch Full HD IPS VR Ready Gaming Laptop Intel Quad-Core i5-7300HQ 2.5/3.5GHz, 4GB NVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Backlit Keyboard WLAN Type-C Win 10 512 SSD and 512 HDD 16 GB RAM.
Thanks! David :D
Magic
Site Admin

Re: One laptop to run Magic and Ableton? Please adivise

Post by Magic »

Should be fine. I would just experiment and see how it goes.
SoundInsight

Post by SoundInsight »

Thanks, man! ~David
mr-self-destruct

Post by mr-self-destruct »

I am also running ableton and magic on a macbook air, depending on the amount of midi being sent in ableton, and the complexity of the visuals, mine begins to lag and affects the audio output slightly (enough for me to not be able to use it live). Your laptop sounds like it can handle more, especially running from 2 HDD, but you'll have to run tests and see if you experience any slow down/issues. I eventually plan on splitting the load between 2 laptops, using ableton link. good luck!
skarabee

Post by skarabee »

I am running Magic with Cubase on a Asus with almost the same specs ( but only 8gb ram)
Both programs are running from the SSD, and the datas (audio, video, 3d models, midi) are on 1T HDD.
Runs fine enough to render complex 3D anims with both midi and audio used as live stream or preloaded files.